Tapped horn .. Polarity?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi ..

Have a quick question for you guys.

I'm building tapped horns at the moment, while a friend of mine are building som hybrids .. He's drivers have to be wired in reverse polarity, if he mounts the driver, with the magnet facing out (like a tapped horn).

Do i have to reverse the polarity on my drivers in a tapped horn as well?

Hi ..

Have a quick question for you guys.

I'm building tapped horns at the moment, while a friend of mine are building som hybrids .. He's drivers have to be wired in reverse polarity, if he mounts the driver, with the magnet facing out (like a tapped horn).

Do i have to reverse the polarity on my drivers in a tapped horn as well?
DSL's convention for their tapped horns is positive voltage to the positive terminal makes the cone go inward.

Reversing the polarity may get the TH close to a phase match without applied delay to the top cabinets if the path length of the TH happens to be around a wavelength of the crossover frequency.

Tapped horns have a different phase response than FLH, BR, or sealed alignments.
Properly aligning a sub to a top cabinet needs to consider both the top cabinet and sub's phase response at the crossover point, as well as below.

Hi Chaps,

There is no easy rule of thumb, I'll attach the Hornresp phase response for two different THs both with 15" PA drivers:

Regards,

Attachments

• SS15_LAB15_phase.jpg
    SS15_LAB15_phase.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 168
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.