Best slam and punch in the bass for hifi (not PA): TH with 15 OR 2x15 BR OR 1x18 BR?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If you are planning to use a Ciare 15.00sw or 18.00sw you most definitely need a bigger amp. these speakers want an amp that can comfortably feed 2000w @8ohms. RCF and B&C make similar drivers, they are all around 300$ retail. The Ciare's are great speakers. They look feel and sound like they were made for the military. I have them loaded in EV TL-4025 bins (modded) and i power each speaker with a QSC 3602 bridged. (plenty of headroom, very efficient, two will hold on a 15 amp beaker) But even the 3602's work hard to push these things @ 8 ohms. I'm not sure how you would use small chip amps with these beasts.

Hi pk,

It should be relatively easy to reach 95dB/1W/1m in the home, as you can reduce your radiation angle from free field (2xpi) to at least one wall behind the speaker (1xpi). I'll attach a quick Hornresp example for the JBL GTO1214D in a vented box. You can play around with that to see if the simulation gives you what you want. Just for numbers I used 2ea. 4"Dia. x 12.6" ducts. This would work as a standard bass reflex, or you could use djk's PPSL driver arrangement.

Regards,

Attachments

• JBL_GTO1214D_Dual_BR_Input.jpg
    JBL_GTO1214D_Dual_BR_Input.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 361
  • JBL_GTO1214D_Dual_BR_SPL_Filter.jpg
    JBL_GTO1214D_Dual_BR_SPL_Filter.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 357
Thank for all the recent replies, but for the author of the thread the case is closed

Dear all,

The thread had been 'sleeping' sleeping for some time, but then recently a few posts came up. I would like to thank all the contributors, but for me the case is closed by now. (This should of course not prevent others to keep the topic alive, though!)

I actually wanted to do djk's PPSL's with a pair of the original 15" Eminence driver from MartinSound, but unfortunately the driver had just gone obsolete when I attempted to purchase it!? Instead I went for a simpler route and bought a pair of 18" Fane Colossus 18XB which is now mounted in 220 liters vented caps. I will post pictures in the not too distant future:)

Thanks again for all the help!

Best regards
Peter

I use 4 subs in my room and anywhere you go in my room you hear the same volume of sub signal. There are no peaks or nulls to speak of.

I don't do Home Theater, just music.

Djn, chris661, and Ellenic: Thanks for your replies! Just to clarify: The idea is two stereo speakers with a bass ‘module’ in each.

AndrewT: Fb=35 Hz is perfectly adequate, so I still hope it is possible:). But you are probably right, that a bigger amp for the bass would be better by all means.

djk: Thanks for replying! I have been intrigued by the PPSL approach for quite some time, and really wish I had the chance to compare the PPSL to a ‘standard double’ vented box without having to actually build the boxes.

One question: On the AA board Les Hudson – who also endorses the PPSL approach - said (IIRC) that they were his favorite system for bass, and that a PPSL was the way to go if the goal was ‘accuracy’, but that PPSL may not be configuration with most ‘slam’. Since I specificly seek the weighty punch, Les’ statement made me hesitate!? Do you think the PPSL have the same punch/weight as conventional BR boxes? (A long time ago I had pair of JBL 250Ti’s and I actually liked the bass from these, although I would like a steroid version of these). Thanks!

Scott L: Thanks for the suggestion. I really wish I had a chance to the AE drivers on this side of the Atlantic!

IslandPink: Thanks for the direction - yes I already saw the thread. I have read quite a bit about TH, but haven’t had a chance to hear one - yet. I may be dead wrong, but somehow doubt that a fairly tight 10” woofer will provide the punch, I’m seeking – even when horn loaded.

Best regards
Peter

• Shall cover the 35-150 Hz range
• Max 230 liters net (or app. 8.1 cubic feet) per side
• > 95 dB efficient, preferably higher
• Serious punch and slam with a lot of ‘weight’ with kick drums etc.

I have considered either:

1. A tapped horn with a single 15” woofer (e.g., Eminence 4015LF/3015LF, B&C 15TBX100)

Sounds like a description of the THAM15, although designed for professional applications use it is also found in home systems.

In room they should be able to give 35Hz.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.