TH as Bass Trap?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Went to listen to some music in my living room tonight and I thought it sounded a bit different. A few measurements later told me why - my POC#2 TH which is currently parked up in one corner of my living room, disconnected, was acting as a bass trap. See speaker leads shorted (red) vs speaker leads open (green) response below. Measurement taken about 2.5 ft. from the TH's mouth. I measured response differences well out into the living room as well.

Interesting. Maybe I should design one that's tuned to the most annoying peak in my living room to see what happens :)

Attachments

• response7.jpg
    response7.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 271
Went to listen to some music in my living room tonight and I thought it sounded a bit different. A few measurements later told me why - my POC#2 TH which is currently parked up in one corner of my living room, disconnected, was acting as a bass trap. See speaker leads shorted (red) vs speaker leads open (green) response below. Measurement taken about 2.5 ft. from the TH's mouth. I measured response differences well out into the living room as well.

Interesting. Maybe I should design one that's tuned to the most annoying peak in my living room to see what happens :)
You may have found a good use for blown speakers :^).

What you found is very important when comparing speakers, to make a valid test any nearby speakers must be shorted.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.