TH as Bass Trap? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th February 2011, 12:03 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default TH as Bass Trap?

Went to listen to some music in my living room tonight and I thought it sounded a bit different. A few measurements later told me why - my POC#2 TH which is currently parked up in one corner of my living room, disconnected, was acting as a bass trap. See speaker leads shorted (red) vs speaker leads open (green) response below. Measurement taken about 2.5 ft. from the TH's mouth. I measured response differences well out into the living room as well.

Interesting. Maybe I should design one that's tuned to the most annoying peak in my living room to see what happens
Attached Images
File Type: jpg response7.jpg (185.9 KB, 185 views)
Old 4th February 2011, 12:36 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Steele View Post
Interesting. Maybe I should design one that's tuned to the most annoying peak in my living room to see what happens
The significant part is the quarter-wave tube. As you found, it can be straight or folded. Note that when you put a hole in it (leave the driver terminals open) it doesn't work so well.
Old 4th February 2011, 01:32 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Went to listen to some music in my living room tonight and I thought it sounded a bit different. A few measurements later told me why - my POC#2 TH which is currently parked up in one corner of my living room, disconnected, was acting as a bass trap. See speaker leads shorted (red) vs speaker leads open (green) response below. Measurement taken about 2.5 ft. from the TH's mouth. I measured response differences well out into the living room as well.

You may have found a good use for blown speakers :^).

What you found is very important when comparing speakers, to make a valid test any nearby speakers must be shorted.
Old 4th February 2011, 01:48 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hills View Post
The significant part is the quarter-wave tube. As you found, it can be straight or folded. Note that when you put a hole in it (leave the driver terminals open) it doesn't work so well.
Actually it works better as a trap with the leads open, rather than shorted.
Old 4th February 2011, 10:24 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Actually it works better as a trap with the leads open, rather than shorted.
You're right. I read it wrong. Interesting...

Hide this!Advertise here!