THAM10 - a 10" compact TH proposal

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks Thawach !

It sure is qute :) almost like some absurd quarterscale replica of a propper horn, but the sound sure is full scale 1:1 :)

It is simply the most impressive design I have made to date, and loaded with propper drivers I'm sure it will supprise even more.

There are some more drivers simulated on the THAM10 page, and I'll try to get more on there as time goes on, and if any of you should find a driver that sims fine in the THAM10 that I have not listed, please let me know and I'll get it up on the page.

Martinsson's Blog -

Can't wait to get home from work :)

I'm currently listening to a pair of THAM10's loaded with Beyma 10G40, and they sound fine, roughly the same response but the character is somewhat different.

They sound fuller, thicker, but still with the same detailed and tight response as before, and they start making some rather impressive noise at 50Hz.

THAM10_livingroom_horn_setup.JPG

hi martinsson what the point cut off freq that u use with horn left n right.

In the case of the 2" TB/JBL2386 combo the X-over is set at 240Hz using a DBX 223XL, these horns do require som EQ to sound good.

In the case of the fx120 minitops the X-over is set at 120Hz using the same DBX 223XL, these little tops do not require EQ to sound OK.

The THAM10 has no problems what so ever integrating in a really nice way even without delay on the top systems.

LOL Faker

How so Dan ?

Hi.

I've used the modified scheme from post12 and mounted an older 10" with a massive magnet, but not much usefull T/S-data. The data I have suggested (to the best of my understanding) that the driver should be usefull in the proposed cabinet/horn.The driver is a "Zomax AF1065", but it dosnt "google" very well. It's rated at 94dB eff, but I've no idea if this is true.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I made the cabinet 3cm wider internally and added some bracing, so the cross-section is almost as proposed. Should this make a big difference?

With a laptop-soundcard an a Panasonic mic from ebay I got these curves outdoors on the grass: Green is approx 2 meters away, blue is right at the mouth. Don't mind the levels, I shifted them a bit for other reasons.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I did a loopback-test on the soundcard (inbuilt in ancient laptop) and the level at 50Hz is some 3-5dB down so the curve should probably be compensated for this.

Measurments done with demo version of Arta. The actual soundlevel is not known. No parts of the setup was calibrated.

What do you think? - does the curves indicate a proper match of driver+horn?

To my ears the sound is great with some nice bass-detail, - not just "boom". with regards to sensitivity I really don't have anything to compare with.

Kind Regards

Last edited:
It looks fine, to quote my blog from March 2011 :

This is my suggestion for a very compact, lightweight and capable 10" loaded tapped horn which should provide well from 50Hz and up in real world conditions.

Judging from the grpahs and mic calibration it seems the statement was not that much off, and the driver seems to do fine in this THAM10 based design, bare in mind that the 3 segment simulation tuning for the THAM10 was set at ~65Hz with the example dirver, and as shown in the other THAM designs the folding brings that down with about 10Hz to roughly 50-55Hz.

As for the extra 3cm of box width, yes it should influense the result, all the S-values has gotten a boost, but seeing as the path length is still the same my guess is that there will be less of a differnece in tuning then in overall sensitivity, but the total amount of difference is most lilley not noticable in real world usage.

Thanks for sharing, it is allways nice to see once designs being built.

Hello Andrew

Looking forward to your impression of the THAM10, did you build one or two?

It seems you are using a MDF type material or similar with a greater material the the 12mm specified in the drawings, is it the original design or a modified THAM10?

Also, what driver are you using? can't quite make out the brand stamped into the side of the steel chassie.

THAM10

Hello martinsson
greetings and THANK YOU for your THAM 10 design i used
a very cheap driver i had listening to it it has exceeded my
expectations i can imagine with proper drivers its a killer sub
i will be building second tham 10 tham 12 tham 15 very soon
just waiting for drivers to come all wood is cut will post pics

warm regards
Andrew

That's great Andrew, thanks for the preliminary feedback an I'm looking forward to your future findings.

Judging from my mail inbox the THAM series is still rather popular, I'm currently averaging approx. 3-5 mails per week from all over the planet mainly asking for driver recommendations but quite a few of them also contain positive feedback, sometimes google translated into English and on rare occasions even Swedish :)

Usually these mails refers to the THAM12 and THAM15, without a doubt the two most popular models, but lately I have seen an slight increase in interest for the THAM10 and even the THAM18 which is very rewarding.

Just knowing that the THAM series is still on the radar out there despite the stiff and excellent competition and their rather old age (eight years now since their debut) is something that is really motivating when thinking about going back in to DIY designs again.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.