Subwoofer Plate Amp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th July 2003, 04:07 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Subwoofer Plate Amp

I'm thinking of building an active subwoofer using this amplifier http://www.advanceae.com.au/car/prod426.htm. however i'm not sure how i'm going to control the volume of the sub if i use the low level input (RCA). I'm going to have a go at building my own stereo amp for the mains (hopefully a gainclone) and i want to put a set of pre-outs or a mono preout on it that can feed the subwoofer amp which has a built in crossover. I want the preouts to be controlled by the main volume control on the amp. however i thought the idea of a pre-out was that it wasn't volume controlled at all yet i see home theatre recievers with subwoofer outputs so i assume there is a way to do it. thanks for any help.
Old 26th July 2003, 06:45 PM   #2
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
If i'm correct most plate amps have a hi pass input and a low pass 9 rca 0 the hi pass allows you to attach the speaker outputs from your amplifier outs ( speaker out a - b ) if you need any more help let me know.. ..
Old 26th July 2003, 11:28 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Subwoofer Plate Amp

Quote:
Originally posted by amoeba86
I want the preouts to be controlled by the main volume control on the amp. however i thought the idea of a pre-out was that it wasn't volume controlled at all
You may be thinking of tape monitor outputs, which run at full volume all the time. Pre-outs are affected by the main volume control - look at any component preamp, or for that matter a car stereo head unit, both of which are examples of devices made to connect to a power amplifier (which likely has no volume control of its own).

So yes, if you're planning on building your gainclone with a volume knob (in other words a preamp stage) and pre-outs, the pre-outs should be post-volume control. And that's how it's normally done, so no worries.

JasonL is correct that you could simply run speaker wires to that sub amp and daisy-chain them along to your speakers, but down-converting a speaker level signal to drive your sub amp may add a bit of noise and distortion. It might not even be audible, but something to consider. You'll have to work out whether it's worth the extra trouble of adding pre-outs to your main amp for the possible sonic benefits and flexibility down the line of having extra connectors for additional/different amplifiers.
Old 27th July 2003, 12:23 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

ok thanks, i think i wasn't fully understanding how the pre-outs worked, i know this isn't the chip amp forum but could someone possibly show me how i would integrate a set of preouts that are controled by the main volume control, i don't have to worry about summing or anything since the plate amp does that.
Old 27th July 2003, 12:27 AM   #5
Banned

if you get a plate amp you dont need a pre out as the plate amp will have hi' pass inputs. yu can hook up the amp directly to it via hi pass. : O ) do you want me to draw it for you..?
Old 27th July 2003, 03:37 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JasonL
if you get a plate amp you dont need a pre out as the plate amp will have hi' pass inputs. yu can hook up the amp directly to it via hi pass. : O ) do you want me to draw it for you..?
My point before was that he might not want to do it that way, even though he certainly can. Either way, I doubt anybody needs any pictures drawn of how to hook up the speaker wires.
Old 27th July 2003, 03:57 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

You might want to look at site www.apexjr.com for a plate amp
Old 27th July 2003, 06:50 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

yeah i know i can use the high pass connections however i don't really want to because of the extra distortion and also having to run all the cabling to the sub. i would rather just run a single RCA cable to it and go without the distortion.
Old 27th July 2003, 06:53 AM   #9
Banned

Witch channel are you going to use to drive the sub then left or right. I think you might want to look into Circuits that use both left-right to combine the signal so that way you get all bass notes. If you listen to one side it can be different than the other.
Old 27th July 2003, 06:56 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

why do you say distortion?....I run alot of line level cable and do not have any?

Hide this!Advertise here!