Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th July 2003, 06:56 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to phreeky82
i have one of those amp plates. what were u thinking of driving from it? they are quite good, and i think you'll be happy with it, but they do get quite hot if u drive them hard, so have a think about that. i've put a 80mm fan attached to the heatsink, and even at low speed it's all that is needed (this is in north queensland, so if you're down south you'll be fine)

if u make a stereo amp, just go from the rca inputs -> volume control (be it a dual log pot or otherwise)

then split it from there to the audio inputs of the amps and to the rca outputs. the plate amp has stereo line level inputs, so you don't need a mono output.

with this, you'll be running the stereo amps at full range, and having the sub playing bass (adjustable crossover from 100hz down).

if u want to use the sub plates line level crossover, you'll have to go input -> volume -> plate amp -> stereo amp. i should also make u aware that although the plate amp has an adjustable crossover, the line level outputs are always high passed at 100hz - it can't be adjusted.
Old 27th July 2003, 08:36 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

thanks phreeky I'll probably do what you said but have a set of RCA outputs on my amp that can run to the plate amp. Also i was wondering if you knew where i could get better prices on the amps as i live in Australia as well.
Old 27th July 2003, 08:45 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

oh one more thing, does anyone know a simple summing circuit i could use so i only need to use 1 RCA output and therefore 1 cable in order to make it neater since the amp can accept mono as well as stereo low level input.
Old 27th July 2003, 10:15 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

no, that's the best price i know of sorry. jaycar don't sell those ones anymore i don't think, they do sell the ones of higher power ratings tho. i run a 12" jbl car sub off mine and it is plenty of power

i have read and tested once a 'simple line mixer' circuit i found on google. it says to just combine the gounds of the inputs and output, and then put a 10k resistor in series with each input, then just combine them to the output. hope that makes sense.

i've read of other examples using different value resistors. i guess with the higher resistance, the better stereo imaging you'll keep but the more attenuation you'll get. i found that 10k resistors kept acceptable stereo imaging and the attenuation was no problem, but i don't use this circuit, just tested it.

it's also good that u can VERY easily put this in the middle of a cable and put tape around it, and it's barely noticable. i suggest trying it. i will probably induce a little noise too.
Old 27th July 2003, 11:07 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

like this?

http://www.hut.fi/Misc/Electronics/c...s/linesum.html
Old 27th July 2003, 12:15 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

yeah i read it on that page first i think. found a couple of similar links too.

my biggest concern was that mixing the inputs like that might actually cause any other equipment running off those inputs to loose stereo separation.

it's simple, but it works.
Old 27th July 2003, 12:31 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

thought u might be interested, www.altronics.com.au also have a relatively cheap 150wrms plate amp

my guess would be that they are all the exact same design. the one from jaycar and advanceca are identical looking.

personally i'd buy a kit if i already had a line level crossover, as they can work out much cheaper. jaycar have a nice amp that would require a xo, but puts out some neat figures:

115wrms@8ohms, 175wrms@4ohms, 0.002%thd@155w@1khz, 0.004%thd@175w@1khz. s/n 112db@115w 20hz-20khz

it is a silicon chip design. it's $95, but requires a toroidal, bridge rectifier, filter caps and heatsink. altronics also have some good amps like this.

the advantage of such amps is that if u later decide to use it to power a full range speaker, you can - and with exellent power.

i very recently put together two SC480 (KC-5345 at jaycar) kits with fantastic results. i guess it all comes down to financial and soldering ability restrictions - oh, and risk.

Hide this!Advertise here!