My custom folded bass horn - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th January 2011, 09:27 PM   #1
Paper mache horn fabricator
diyAudio Member

Default My custom folded bass horn

Hello everyone, I thought a few of you that know me might get a kick out of my latest creation: it hits every note I throw its way. I built it for my brother's Christian rock band and had the opportunity to hear the horn in action during rehearsal. The bass guitarist was grinning, as was my brother (he plays drums). The kick from this thing is deafening. The best part is that the horn sound's pretty. I didn't hear much distortion, or garbling of notes. I designed her to be tight.

I talk a bit about this horn on my web site: inlowsound.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jade's horn angle; best view.jpg (40.6 KB, 362 views)

Last edited by carpenter; 28th January 2011 at 09:28 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 29th January 2011, 11:24 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to kipman725
Quite impresive, got mesurments?
Old 29th January 2011, 05:17 PM   #3
CCU is offline CCU  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to CCU
That looks nice. but your website seem to lack any information on what driver you use and mesurments
Old 29th January 2011, 05:30 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I used a pair of LAB 12 drivers, available from Parts Express. The Lab 12 is an impressive little machine.

I'll be taking measurements when I can. I needed to get it out of the shop -- no building security and a dubious neighborhood.

For now, my ears are the judge. You can tell when a sub is developing a proper bottom end, and this horn does it in spades. I wasn't expecting the extension I heard, I mean, the software predicted a 35 hz roll off. When I heard the bass growling and rumbling well below that figure, I felt stunned -- pleasantly, I might add.
Old 29th January 2011, 05:57 PM   #5
CCU is offline CCU  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to CCU
since you are using LAB 12 driver, i looking forward to comparing it to the LAB horn.
Old 29th January 2011, 06:20 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCU View Post
since you are using LAB 12 driver, i looking forward to comparing it to the LAB horn.
I do too. My horn has different flare configurations than the Lab 12. It'll be interesting to see how Hornresp (and my ability to manipulate it) stacks up against Tom Danley's mental expertise.

My horn is wider, so the mouth is larger than the Lab 12.

I'm so thankful that Tom started the Lab 12 project, or else the Lab 12 driver would never have be created. I love that driver!

Hide this!Advertise here!