My custom folded bass horn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone, I thought a few of you that know me might get a kick out of my latest creation: it hits every note I throw its way. I built it for my brother's Christian rock band and had the opportunity to hear the horn in action during rehearsal. The bass guitarist was grinning, as was my brother (he plays drums). The kick from this thing is deafening. The best part is that the horn sound's pretty. I didn't hear much distortion, or garbling of notes. I designed her to be tight.

I talk a bit about this horn on my web site: inlowsound.com

Attachments

• Jade's horn angle; best view.jpg
    Jade's horn angle; best view.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 402
Last edited:
I used a pair of LAB 12 drivers, available from Parts Express. The Lab 12 is an impressive little machine.

I'll be taking measurements when I can. I needed to get it out of the shop -- no building security and a dubious neighborhood.

For now, my ears are the judge. You can tell when a sub is developing a proper bottom end, and this horn does it in spades. I wasn't expecting the extension I heard, I mean, the software predicted a 35 hz roll off. When I heard the bass growling and rumbling well below that figure, I felt stunned -- pleasantly, I might add.

since you are using LAB 12 driver, i looking forward to comparing it to the LAB horn.

I do too. My horn has different flare configurations than the Lab 12. It'll be interesting to see how Hornresp (and my ability to manipulate it) stacks up against Tom Danley's mental expertise.

My horn is wider, so the mouth is larger than the Lab 12.

I'm so thankful that Tom started the Lab 12 project, or else the Lab 12 driver would never have be created. I love that driver!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.