Peerless XLS 830452 Horn Ideas.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone, i have two peerless 830452 subwoofers that i would love to use in a horn build, an member in this section wanted to build a horn sub with a similar peerless driver, and the models seemed to be very positive.

I want to build two, each with one woofer, size wise i am looking for around 120cm by 100cm by 35-40cm, smaller would be better.

For a tune is was thinking 15-18Hz low knee (if thats the right term!), I have built many other subs in the last few years, mostly ported and some sealed, i cannot figure out horn response at all, winISD no problem, but its not applicable for this build.

Here are the Parameters (spec not measured)

Znom 8 ohm
Re 3.4 ohm
Le 4.3 mH
fs 18.6 Hz
Qms 2.66
Qes 0.18
Qts 0.17
Mms 139.3 g
Cms 0.52 mm/N
Sd 333 cm2
BL 17.5 N/A
Vas 80.2 ltrs
Xmax 12.5 mm peak
Voice Coil Ø 51 mm
Sensitivity
2.83V / 1m 88.4 dB
Power (IEC) 300 watt

I have an basic idea for the folding (which are sketchy at best, get it:p) although it looks more like a transmission line, i was just getting an idea of the
horn path length.

I posted here because of the excellent level of knowledge and experience and helpfulness, that i have see.

Thanks John.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 420
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 397

GM

Joined 2003
Greets!

I simmed both sets of specs and virtually no difference even with the big difference in inductance, though of course the proof is in the building/measuring.

Anyway, not a lot going on at rated power down low, though two subs not too far apart will sum at the long WLs, so combined with a bit of room/boundary gain they should be OK for all but a few movies and pipe organ symphonies unless a high pass is used to protect them. Overall though not too shabby for only ~149 L net.

As you can see in the sim, it's already a little under-damped, though from others measured builds it should be somewhat smoother in reality, so this driver's specs doesn't really want to 'feel' anywhere near a 10 ft^3 cab without either adding some series resistance or tuning it lower. Of course you can always double each section's area to get your 10+ ft^3 net or some other net Vb by using whatever fraction is required.

GM

Attachments

• Peerless 830452 ~15 Hz TH - measured specs.gif
    Peerless 830452 ~15 Hz TH - measured specs.gif
    7.4 KB · Views: 362
  • Peerless 830452 ~15 Hz TH - measured.gif
    Peerless 830452 ~15 Hz TH - measured.gif
    19.2 KB · Views: 362
  • Peerless 830452 ~15 Hz TH - measured - max SPL.gif
    Peerless 830452 ~15 Hz TH - measured - max SPL.gif
    18.6 KB · Views: 346
Thanks for the input guys, very helpful.

Thats looks like some pretty decent Spl for a 10", in terms of physical layout of the horn and folding, was there a copy of the spud diagram that i could copy in terms of path length, and just adjust the cross sectional area, as i am only using
a 10" single, vs two 12" drivers?

Would 15mm ply do for this build or is 18mm a must?

Thanks again.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.