Tube sub idea

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here's an idea I've been pondering if anyone has tried out, or can see any reason why it shouldn't work.

Basically it's the old sonotube based sub again but with a twist. For years, people have put large woofers into sonotubes of various lengths, either for the shorter versions to function as a baffle for dipole subs or for the longer versions to function as transmission lines.

Now, what happens if I calculate the volume as a BR cabinet and then make the port the same diameter as the tube and add the port volume to the length? It should theoretically still work as a BR, right?

And couldn't you just recess it in the tube, and calculate it as a BP making both ports the same diameter as the tube itself. Again, it should theoretically work, right?

I'm hoping someone can argue the flaw in my assumptions, or has any practical knowledge about it.

Interesting.

Of course, the "patented" part means nothing. Anyone can produce it legally, it's a void patent. But Bose does have some interesting ideas sometimes. That they truly crap at making any good use of any of them is another matter.

If the concept holds true it would actually be very interesting to try with a quality 15" driver in 6 meter long tube.

That probably because an almost 4 meter long and over 30 cm in diameter tube, weighing in at about 35 kilos isn't the most sellable product for the average consumer crowd they aim at.

But thanks for confirming that it was a really really good idea for a subwoofer project. It's basically what I predicted. Very wide frequency possible range that can go very low, and with next to no distortion as the only distortion will be from the driver itself, and not the cabinet tuning used.

Last edited:
Too bad, you don't care about HR, it's really easy to use and in agreement with AkAbak in most cases. But anyhow, simulate it as a transmission line thingy in AkAbak, a line on each side, no chambers, just pipes (compound horn in HR one for high, one for low). If it's close enough to a solid ceiling (or solid wall) it should correspond well to AkAbak's 2,0 pi.

Best regards Johan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.