diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Subwoofers (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/)
-   -   Build Guitar Bass cabinet (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/181719-build-guitar-bass-cabinet.html)

BuildByHands 24th January 2011 01:32 AM

Build Guitar Bass cabinet

Hello,

I'm a real newbie at this site. I've been surfing around on forums to learn as much as I can to build a (Guitar) bass cabinet. The more I read the more I get confused.

Any way, I am planing to build it. And I would like to ask the people with experiences to give me guidance. Here are my thougth:

1) I would use 3/4" thick Plywood
2) I will use (speaker) LEGEND CB15 - 8 Ohms, 300 Watts
this LEGEND CB15 requires only 2 cubic foots closed box.

Questions:

1) Could you provide me (closest) measurement of the cut-wood to build 2 cubic foots.
2) Do I have to make cross over within this box? (I don't even know that the cross over is).
3) what I need to included the cross-over in the box?

Thawach 25th January 2011 01:57 AM

hi
select the Dimensions on box wizard that u want. and adjust until Internal Vb is 2 cuf

Rockford Fosgate® - Woofer BoxWizard

the details of bass guitar,u can read from this link.

Speaker cabinets

regard/:)

fingerboy21 25th January 2011 02:40 AM

For bass guitar you do not need a crossover unless the driver specifies. A crossover is a circuit that splits up the frequencies and sends them to different types of speakers in simple terms. There are many free calculators online that will be able to calculate the box for you.

Mordor 9th February 2011 01:47 PM

Hi, i played electric bass for 8 years.
The cabinet is the 80 % of sound that you want.
Generally bass cabnet work in bass reflex, and have or a single 15" or more 8 - 10 " driver.
I have a 15" rcf pro ( 800 w rms ) in a marine plywood cabinet ( bass reflex ) + a double piezoelectric tweeter. It Sound cold, deep and metallic, not for jazz or warm style.
If u want a warm & fat sound u can use 2 or 4 8" or 10 " speaker in bass reflex enclosure ( i like eminence beta 8a 225 wrms each :eek:).

What's style of sound that u want? fatty, quick or cold ,deep ....
How many power ?

Plywood imho is the better material, light, strong and sound good. Mdf is to heavy and imho have a bad sound for a bass / guitar application.

tinitus 9th February 2011 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuildByHands (Post 2443880)

2) I will use (speaker) LEGEND CB15 - 8 Ohms, 300 Watts
this LEGEND CB15 requires only 2 cubic foots closed box.

Questions:

1) Could you provide me (closest) measurement of the cut-wood to build 2 cubic foots.

this one ?

Speaker Detail | Eminence Speaker

regarding your question
if you dont know how to calculate simple box dimensions, may I ask where do the 2 cubic feet come from ?

hellonwheels 10th February 2011 03:56 PM

I would check talkbass.com

tb46 11th February 2011 01:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi BuildByHands,

Here is the box data you asked for (you always need to add some volume, here I added 20%, you also want to staple about 2" of fiberfill to the inside, e.g.: one side, top and back):

Regards,

BuildByHands 25th February 2011 02:26 AM

Thank you all for your response.

cbdb 26th February 2011 09:31 PM

Bass guitars do not just put out low freqs. so most good bass cabs with large drivers (15") also have a tweeter. If you use smaller drivers ( 4 x 10") you might get away without the tweeter. Look at some comercial designs for ideas.

BuildByHands 28th February 2011 02:47 PM

Hi CBDB,

What is tweeter? Could you explain? How do I include it in the cabinet?