Can someone help me model a horn for a driver in my basement?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have two drivers in my basement, and I'd like to use one or the other in a horn sub. My computer (sadly) can't run HornResp, and Akabak seems to be quite beyond me. Any suggestions?
1. Audiopulse Epic 12
DISCONTINUED Audiopulse EPD412 EPIC 12" DVC Subwoofer 4 Ohm | Parts-Express.com
2. Stryke (Acoustic Elegance) SB-12

Fs:21hz
Qts: 0.557
Vas: 160 liters
Vd: 742 cc
Bl: 10.2
Sensitivity: 89dB @ 2.83v
Nominal impedance: 6 ohms
Xmax:14mm (1-way)

Hi,

There is not enough data for the AES SB-12 in your post. The Qts looks on the high side for a horn, and the Bl is on the low side. I took a look at the EPIC, it is not only discontinued, its T/S Parameters do not calculate correctly in Hornresp, anyway I build you a model for a 300 Liter tapped horn, maybe that'll get us started:

Regards,

Attachments

• EPIC_12_in_Input_SPL_small.jpg
    EPIC_12_in_Input_SPL_small.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:
Hi,

There is not enough data for the AES SB-12 in your post. The Qts looks on the high side for a horn, and the Bl is on the low side. I took a look at the EPIC, it is not only discontinued, its T/S Parameters do not calculate correctly in Hornresp, anyway I build you a model for a 300 Liter tapped horn, maybe that'll get us started:

Regards,

Hmm. Thanks for the thoughts - I've seen some fairly similar drivers used in horns, but I guess these aren't so usable.

Plan B is just to build some enormous ported boxes. 20hz, here I come!

Hi,

For your plan B you are looking at: BR - 117 ltr.net - 2 ports 4"Dia.x 20"long - for the EPD412, but it will not give you the same impact as a tapped horn (which is 2.5 times as large); and the volume is larger than Vas, which some people recommend against (impulse response looks fine in Hornresp though).

Regards,

Hmm. Thanks for the thoughts - I've seen some fairly similar drivers used in horns, but I guess these aren't so usable.

Plan B is just to build some enormous ported boxes. 20hz, here I come!

They're not horrible, just not the best. If you're in the mood to experiment, then build yourself a horn and have fun. If you want to play it safe, build some bass reflex boxes. Heck, what fun is it to play it safe? It is a lot of work to build a good folded horn, but you certainly have something to be proud of afterwards.

Did you say you have two of those subs? A pair of 12" drivers in a folded horn generally model better than one. Do you want me to continue with the modeling?

John :)

Hi,

For your plan B you are looking at: BR - 117 ltr.net - 2 ports 4"Dia.x 20"long - for the EPD412, but it will not give you the same impact as a tapped horn (which is 2.5 times as large); and the volume is larger than Vas, which some people recommend against (impulse response looks fine in Hornresp though).

Regards,

Why not try modeling that tapped horn in 0.5 x pie space? You're model is in 2.0 x pie, which seems incorrect considering a tapped horn should be tucked away in a corner.

Hi carpenter,

Just for general comparison. I don't have any control over the actual conditions. Are the walls 3/8" plasterboard, or 8" concrete?

Anyway, thanks for looking, I like your corner horn ideas.

Regards,

Hi tb46,

The fact that you took the time to model this driver in a tapped horn is very generous and, in fact, encouraged me to be equally generous. The world needs more guys like you.

I realize that we don't control our fellow audiophile's listening environment, what I meant was, you will get far more favorable results in the TH simulator if you calculate in 1/8 space, i.e., ang = 0.5 x pi (located in the upper left hand corner of the "Input parameters" page.

That's all.

BTW, thanks for the compliment :)

John

They're not horrible, just not the best. If you're in the mood to experiment, then build yourself a horn and have fun. If you want to play it safe, build some bass reflex boxes. Heck, what fun is it to play it safe? It is a lot of work to build a good folded horn, but you certainly have something to be proud of afterwards.

Did you say you have two of those subs? A pair of 12" drivers in a folded horn generally model better than one. Do you want me to continue with the modeling?

John :)

A quad of the Strykes, actually. However, I'm really looking for 25hz response - I just don't think I can get it.

The Audiopulse Epic has got some measured T/S specs from the factory - I'll try and dig them out.

..A quad of the Strykes, actually. However, I'm really looking for 25hz response - I just don't think I can get it...

Hi,

You can :D if you can afford the needed volume..:)

b:)

PS: + :down: the need of an EQ and signal delays for the main speakers if you consider to choose a crappy TH. See the pictures.

Attachments

• Stryke-Audio-SAL-SB12_corner-T-TQWT.JPG
    Stryke-Audio-SAL-SB12_corner-T-TQWT.JPG
    212 KB · Views: 74
  • AudiopulseEPD412epic12.JPG
    AudiopulseEPD412epic12.JPG
    537.4 KB · Views: 70
  • epic-versus epic.JPG
    epic-versus epic.JPG
    651.1 KB · Views: 69
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.