diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Subwoofers (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/)
-   -   Can someone help me model a horn for a driver in my basement? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/181713-can-someone-help-me-model-horn-driver-my-basement.html)

Spasticteapot 23rd January 2011 11:36 PM

Can someone help me model a horn for a driver in my basement?

I have two drivers in my basement, and I'd like to use one or the other in a horn sub. My computer (sadly) can't run HornResp, and Akabak seems to be quite beyond me. Any suggestions?
1. Audiopulse Epic 12
DISCONTINUED Audiopulse EPD412 EPIC 12" DVC Subwoofer 4 Ohm | Parts-Express.com
2. Stryke (Acoustic Elegance) SB-12

Fs:21hz
Qts: 0.557
Vas: 160 liters
Vd: 742 cc
Bl: 10.2
Sensitivity: 89dB @ 2.83v
Nominal impedance: 6 ohms
Xmax:14mm (1-way)

tb46 25th January 2011 03:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,

There is not enough data for the AES SB-12 in your post. The Qts looks on the high side for a horn, and the Bl is on the low side. I took a look at the EPIC, it is not only discontinued, its T/S Parameters do not calculate correctly in Hornresp, anyway I build you a model for a 300 Liter tapped horn, maybe that'll get us started:

Regards,

GM 25th January 2011 08:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
WinISD driver file: Stryke Audio SAL-SB12.wdr

GM

carpenter 28th January 2011 09:38 PM

Just being practical: For the amount of effort it takes to actually fabricate a decent horn, I wouldn't waste time working with an inferior horn/driver combination. That being said, I'll take GM's data and see what I can come up with.

carpenter 28th January 2011 10:05 PM

pics and ideas

3 Attachment(s)
Here's what I came up with without going overboard on time:

carpenter 28th January 2011 10:08 PM

The horn was designed to be corner loaded. My experience with Hornresp is that it's very conservative. I have no trouble getting into the first octave, though Hornresp suggests the roll off is 35hz. YMMV.

carpenter 28th January 2011 10:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ooops, forgot the most important:

Spasticteapot 29th January 2011 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tb46 (Post 2445272)
Hi,

There is not enough data for the AES SB-12 in your post. The Qts looks on the high side for a horn, and the Bl is on the low side. I took a look at the EPIC, it is not only discontinued, its T/S Parameters do not calculate correctly in Hornresp, anyway I build you a model for a 300 Liter tapped horn, maybe that'll get us started:

Regards,

Hmm. Thanks for the thoughts - I've seen some fairly similar drivers used in horns, but I guess these aren't so usable.

Plan B is just to build some enormous ported boxes. 20hz, here I come!

tb46 29th January 2011 11:42 PM

Hi,

For your plan B you are looking at: BR - 117 ltr.net - 2 ports 4"Dia.x 20"long - for the EPD412, but it will not give you the same impact as a tapped horn (which is 2.5 times as large); and the volume is larger than Vas, which some people recommend against (impulse response looks fine in Hornresp though).

Regards,

carpenter 29th January 2011 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spasticteapot (Post 2450628)
Hmm. Thanks for the thoughts - I've seen some fairly similar drivers used in horns, but I guess these aren't so usable.

Plan B is just to build some enormous ported boxes. 20hz, here I come!

They're not horrible, just not the best. If you're in the mood to experiment, then build yourself a horn and have fun. If you want to play it safe, build some bass reflex boxes. Heck, what fun is it to play it safe? It is a lot of work to build a good folded horn, but you certainly have something to be proud of afterwards.

Did you say you have two of those subs? A pair of 12" drivers in a folded horn generally model better than one. Do you want me to continue with the modeling?

John :)