Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th January 2011, 11:59 PM   #11
Paper mache horn fabricator
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb46 View Post
Hi,

For your plan B you are looking at: BR - 117 ltr.net - 2 ports 4"Dia.x 20"long - for the EPD412, but it will not give you the same impact as a tapped horn (which is 2.5 times as large); and the volume is larger than Vas, which some people recommend against (impulse response looks fine in Hornresp though).

Regards,
Why not try modeling that tapped horn in 0.5 x pie space? You're model is in 2.0 x pie, which seems incorrect considering a tapped horn should be tucked away in a corner.
Old 30th January 2011, 12:26 AM   #12
tb46 is offline tb46  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi carpenter,

Just for general comparison. I don't have any control over the actual conditions. Are the walls 3/8" plasterboard, or 8" concrete?

Anyway, thanks for looking, I like your corner horn ideas.

Regards,
Old 30th January 2011, 01:26 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb46 View Post
Hi carpenter,

Just for general comparison. I don't have any control over the actual conditions. Are the walls 3/8" plasterboard, or 8" concrete?

Anyway, thanks for looking, I like your corner horn ideas.

Regards,
Hi tb46,

The fact that you took the time to model this driver in a tapped horn is very generous and, in fact, encouraged me to be equally generous. The world needs more guys like you.

I realize that we don't control our fellow audiophile's listening environment, what I meant was, you will get far more favorable results in the TH simulator if you calculate in 1/8 space, i.e., ang = 0.5 x pi (located in the upper left hand corner of the "Input parameters" page.

That's all.

BTW, thanks for the compliment

John
Old 30th January 2011, 02:55 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Spasticteapot
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenter View Post
They're not horrible, just not the best. If you're in the mood to experiment, then build yourself a horn and have fun. If you want to play it safe, build some bass reflex boxes. Heck, what fun is it to play it safe? It is a lot of work to build a good folded horn, but you certainly have something to be proud of afterwards.

Did you say you have two of those subs? A pair of 12" drivers in a folded horn generally model better than one. Do you want me to continue with the modeling?

John
A quad of the Strykes, actually. However, I'm really looking for 25hz response - I just don't think I can get it.

The Audiopulse Epic has got some measured T/S specs from the factory - I'll try and dig them out.
Old 30th January 2011, 07:15 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

I modeled two Strykes and discovered you get a three db rise in SPL, but no additional smoothing. I'd use a pair of the Strykes in a folded bass horn.

My dual Lab 12 folded bass horn hits all the notes down to 20hz with plenty of authority. Check the horn out on my web site: inlowsound.com

A front loaded bass horn with a pair of good drivers is a beast!!
Old 1st February 2011, 11:04 AM   #16
bjorno is offline bjorno  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to bjorno
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spasticteapot View Post
..A quad of the Strykes, actually. However, I'm really looking for 25hz response - I just don't think I can get it...
Hi,

You can if you can afford the needed volume..

b

PS: + the need of an EQ and signal delays for the main speakers if you consider to choose a crappy TH. See the pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stryke-Audio-SAL-SB12_corner-T-TQWT.JPG (212.0 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg AudiopulseEPD412epic12.JPG (537.4 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg epic-versus epic.JPG (651.1 KB, 34 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!