PEERLESS XLS10

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Is this the right model number: 830500?

Regards,

Attachments

• XLS_10_215_Liter_Input.jpg
    XLS_10_215_Liter_Input.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 920
  • XLS_10_215_Liter_SPL.jpg
    XLS_10_215_Liter_SPL.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 914
830452 Peerless 10" XLS

Hi,

Looks like it was designed for ported enclosures w/ a passive radiator 830451, but could also be usable sealed in automotive applications. It seems to model as a tapped horn just fine. Fire up Hornresp, and try to find a tapped horn size/frequency extension combination you like.

For nice workup see: Peerless XLS10 10" Subwoofer (830452) and Passive Radiator (830481) (not a tapped horn).

Regards,

Last edited:
I built a sub with that driver and one matching passive radiator carrying 400 grams. If you need a lot of volume, two passive radiators of 265 grams a piece would probably be better. The matching passive radiators are getting hard to find. I think Peerless discontinued them.

It would never occur to me to use it in a horn. The Qts is extremely low. But what do I know about horns?

Last edited:
Dave,

I didn´t want to spend more money :( but i think i have to :bawling:
The sub is any good for Music with the xlspassive, from classic,acoustic to tecno, i just want some impact.
Is It HIFI or OIZO sub:D ?
I think i dont need lots of db´s because the totem´s dont go loud.

The TH sub´s are they more musical ? ?

RUF

Last edited:
120db from a 150Lt horn, thats brilliant! why is it so much smaller then other designs that utilize dual 8"s or dual 10"s?

I'll be following this build tread with great interest, if it works out i'll definitely copy it!

Would the drivers not be wired is parallel, 16 ohm seems pretty high for most amps?

That woofer is 4 ohms, so in my model I have them wired in series. You can still build a tapped horn with a single woofer. I just like the additional even order distortion cancelation of running push-pull woofers.

I would not design a tapped horn with this woofer that is tuned below 30Hz. It is pointless. You will quickly run up on excursion limits and honestly with room gain 30Hz is plenty low enough.

SPUD like enclosure

Hi,

One of the things I noticed reading through the link in Post #6 is that the author went through the trouble of breaking the driver in, and taking multiple T/S parameter measurements. There is a marked difference between the manufacturers Le=4.3mH and the measured Le=0.79mH (after 50hrs), and it does make a difference in modeling tapped horns.

Just for an exercise I modeled two 830452s in a tapped horn with the general dimensions of the TH-SPUD adjusted for the 10-1/2" driver OD. The SPL response is actually quite similar to the response of the SPUD (or the DTS-10). This seems to be the HT loudspeaker style that Danley has settled on for the time being (see also: DTS-10).

If you already have the drivers, and if the box is not way too big, it would be a shame not give this a try. The thing to remember is the box size: 45"x48"x12.5".

Regards,

Attachments

• 830452_in_Dual.jpg
    830452_in_Dual.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 597
Hi,

One of the things I noticed reading through the link in Post #6 is that the author went through the trouble of breaking the driver in, and taking multiple T/S parameter measurements. There is a marked difference between the manufacturers Le=4.3mH and the measured Le=0.79mH (after 50hrs), and it does make a difference in modeling tapped horns.

Regards,

Yes, Le has a big effect on tapped horn design. The nice thing about woofers that have a higher Le, its like getting your series inductor for free. :) Le measurements can be all over the place. The frequency it is measured at makes a big difference. What I've found in the past is Peerless tends to be one of the more accurate companies with specs, so I have no reason to doubt them. However, this doesn't mean that 0.8mH isn't the more accurate measurement. I gues you have to build it and see how it measures.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.