Nice driver for Open Baffle subwoofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

For those who are living in Europe and want to do a cheap O.B. sub., I have found a 15 inches (40 cm.) 8 ohms woofer which works good.
The given QTS value is 1, which is perfect & necessary for free air use.
This is the Technysound TS38/300D :
FS 28 Hz.
Vas 380 L.
Xmax 6 mm.
Le 0.6 mH.

For how cheap have you found it? I've seen the Eminence Alpha 15 at 60€ a piece, is this significantly cheaper?

Hello everybody,

When I bought it in 2009, it cost was about 50 Euros / one piece.
I think it always has the same price now.

I already knew the Monacor SP-382C & the Eminence Alpha-15 when I bought the TS38-300D.

I choose it because it has both a low FS / high enough QTS, all this with a not too bad efficiency of 92 dB.
And this was very important, because I wanted to experiment how to try to add some deep bass register to my existing Open Baffle system with my Phy-hp H30LB15 which have already good basses and high efficiency (cf my website).

The T/S paramaters were also convenient to have a SAG value which allows to put this woofer in horizontal way without damaging it.

I mount this woofer in a little "U" frame. This for room economy and WAF.
I will post later pics where you can see that I can use in 3 different ways this U-frame according to my PHY/OB & my living-room.

I use it (cut at 50 Hz) with a cheap Rechhorn B-1 active bass control & an Audiophonics stereo T-Amp module of 2 x 60 watts / 8 ohms. I am happy with the result, but I think 50 Hz is a little to high.

So I have also bought in USA by Harrisson Labs inc. RCA Fmod filters & attenuator which allow to cut at about 35 Hz / 24 dB. I am happy too with the result, because it ends the low basses of my Phy in a more audiophile way, but I cannot control the boost as with the B-1.
With these Hlabs filters, I will have to do a new more porwerfull Amp., because they reduce the power by half. I think I will during 2011 buy and mount a ClassD audio amp.kit.
I

As I said before, I post here some pictures of the H frame I have done for my OB subwoofer that I use with my OB Phy-hp speakers.
I can use them in 3 positions :

everyday use in horizontal "waf" position

and for more audiophile listenings, I can put them in upper / front position on the Phy OB, or down on the floor nearby them.

Attachments

• OBwaf1.JPG
    OBwaf1.JPG
    597 KB · Views: 821
  • OBwaf2.JPG
    OBwaf2.JPG
    571.2 KB · Views: 758
  • OBup.JPG
    OBup.JPG
    300.5 KB · Views: 740
  • OBdown.JPG
    OBdown.JPG
    601.2 KB · Views: 733
Hi, Very good finding.

I am looking for the same to assembly a dipole subwoofer for my fullrange drivers Tb 1772, 94 dB senitivity.
In your case with only one, seems OK?
You tried to make the cut off higher, 100 Hz for exemple?
Do you have some response graph from this driver?
Thank you

As I said before, I post here some pictures of the H frame I have done for my OB subwoofer that I use with my OB Phy-hp speakers.
I can use them in 3 positions :

everyday use in horizontal "waf" position

and for more audiophile listenings, I can put them in upper / front position on the Phy OB, or down on the floor nearby them.

Hi Abelma, do you speak french ?

Thks for your congratulations.
As you can read in many papers written about O.B., there is always the need to have "many" OB woofers to match the high sensitivity of a fullrange speaker which will work with them.
In my case, 4 Technysound would be the top, but I cannot (WAF, space and family, ...).
But I can say I am already very happy with 2, and as your TangBand have a little less efficiency than my Phy-hp and have smaller SD, I could guess that it should already be OK for you with "only" two of them.

As my Phy have already very good audiophile basses for a semi-fullrange driver, I have never wanted to use the woofers upper than 50 hz. And as these Technysound are "cheap" and have not the high sensivity of the Phy, I find that we "hear the woofers too much" when I try upper than 50 hz (I think that distorsion has something to "say" too !!!)

I have heard a big difference too with the cut slope !!!

I have recently bought by Conrad a not too expensive powerfull PA amp (Fidek, good amp., 22 kgs !, but with the noisy vent. fans) which has in it a subwwofer filter cutting at 12 db/oct. - 40hz. (to 120 hz.).

I prefer, with the same amp., to switch off the in-board subwoofer filter, and use the Harrisson Labs inc. RCA Fmod filters & attenuator which allow to cut at about 35 Hz / 24 dB.
The slope is higher, and so there is no "competition" with the good basses that the Phy are already able to give.

I am not able to have realworld measurments / graph of my system.

Hope it helps you.

Yes french and spanish also :)

Do you think that driver can go higher to have a cut on the 150 hz ?

My idea of open baffle for the TB1772 will have a natural rollof on that freq range.

BTW, where to get those drivers?

Merci

Hi Abelma, do you speak french ?

Thks for your congratulations.
As you can read in many papers written about O.B., there is always the need to have "many" OB woofers to match the high sensitivity of a fullrange speaker which will work with them.
In my case, 4 Technysound would be the top, but I cannot (WAF, space and family, ...).
But I can say I am already very happy with 2, and as your TangBand have a little less efficiency than my Phy-hp and have smaller SD, I could guess that it should already be OK for you with "only" two of them.

As my Phy have already very good audiophile basses for a semi-fullrange driver, I have never wanted to use the woofers upper than 50 hz. And as these Technysound are "cheap" and have not the high sensivity of the Phy, I find that we "hear the woofers too much" when I try upper than 50 hz (I think that distorsion has something to "say" too !!!)

I have heard a big difference too with the cut slope !!!

I have recently bought by Conrad a not too expensive powerfull PA amp (Fidek, good amp., 22 kgs !, but with the noisy vent. fans) which has in it a subwwofer filter cutting at 12 db/oct. - 40hz. (to 120 hz.).

I prefer, with the same amp., to switch off the in-board subwoofer filter, and use the Harrisson Labs inc. RCA Fmod filters & attenuator which allow to cut at about 35 Hz / 24 dB.
The slope is higher, and so there is no "competition" with the good basses that the Phy are already able to give.

I am not able to have realworld measurments / graph of my system.

Hope it helps you.

Yes, I did in my last post ?

Thank you for the link and sharing, I will see that when start to assemble the project.

Hi Abelma, you dit not answer me for french speaking ?
I search today, and saw that sos-music.fr are still selling them.
That is the place where I bought my 2 Technysound woofers in 2009.

I am astonishing by the "work" that bjorno has done !!! Incredible ...

I am really happy to share my audio hobby with people who are on diyaudio forum.

This driver seems also very interesting by a lot more expensive. But I am confuse with the Qts value of 0.79 with that big magneto ! May be a typo??

HP Boomer 38 cm 800 W TS38-800 PRO TECHNYSOUND 07094D | HP Woofers-boomers | ACCESSOIRES SONORISATION | SONORISATION | SOS MUSIC

Hi Abelma, you dit not answer me for french speaking ?
I search today, and saw that sos-music.fr are still selling them.
That is the place where I bought my 2 Technysound woofers in 2009.

I am astonishing by the "work" that bjorno has done !!! Incredible ...

I am really happy to share my audio hobby with people who are on diyaudio forum.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.