Transmission Line Woofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello speaker builders: I am working on a design for a tapered QW line to handle the two Aurasound 8" drivers bought from Madisound. I am somewhat surprised that there have been so few posts on Transmission line bass units. I will post pictures of my OB main range speakers (MTM seas 11fgx with Dynaudio Esotech D260) - nice sound but need some bass fill in the 40-150 Hz range.

Transmission Line:

Sorry about that. The question concerns the length of line for that speaker (resonance - 40 Hz) in a shared cabinet with drivers on either side and a 2.33 - 1 taper (49"squared tapering to 21"square) in common in the center. The line will be stuffed with long hair wool and lined with "finger foam". Does that sound like a workable bass format with .34 Qts driver?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Martin's tables suggest that with taper of 2.33:1, for 2 drivers (SS snapshot is for single driver), the closed end should be 82 in^2, closed end 35.3 in^2 and a driver offset of 23.25" (the last number calculated manually, the SS seems to be spewing garbage on that for this driver)

dave

Attachments

• Aura-8-TL.gif
    Aura-8-TL.gif
    18.7 KB · Views: 440
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Usually you need to resample the picture down to lower resolution -- i open the picture in photoshop, manipulate, and save for web. If limited to iPhoto, select the image, File>Export, scale the image (no larger than 1000x1000 is a good target), clik OK (or export or whatever the button says), give it a real name (not necessary, but always good practice), save it somewhere you can find it (i have an antique, a newer version of iPhoto may be a bit different)

Back to the forum, click manage attachments, a manage attachments window pops up, select it and then upload the picture. It will get attached to your post.

dave

I have two of the same drivers in my basement waiting for a T line design that will also incorporate one or two of the Aurasound NS3-193-8A1 and perhaps a Dayton Audio ND20FA-6 3/4" Neodymium Dome Tweeter. I've purchased access to Martin's worksheets and also bought Sound Easy, Mic, Mixer. I'm still reading and climbing up that steep learning curve. I am interested to hear how your T lines with the woofer come out.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.