Single 8" or 10" Tapped Horn that can play 20-80Hz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've searched around and read every thread I could find on tapped horns. I haven't found a build utilizing a single 8" or 10" (preferably an 8") that goes down to 20Hz and plays decently up to 80Hz. I'm looking to build 2-4 of these enclosures to minimize room modes. I'm not concerned for extreme SPL for but rather extension, excellent sound quality (low distortion), and a slim enclosure design with 10-12" in width.

Does anyone know of such a design? I'm open on Length and Height measurements as well as any speaker. Thanks in advance! :D

not exactly what your looking for but close, uses a 6.5" driver down to 25hz and slim enclosure. I use four in my bedroom.

Reed Exodus Anarchy 25hz Tapped Horn - AVS Forum

The Exodus Audio "Anarchy" woofer is a wonderful choice for a tapped horn of reasonable size. It's also an excellent woofer that outperforms just about any 6.5 driver in use for 2 or 3-way speakers. Great sounding, low distortion with SOTA XBL2 Motor and phenomenal X-max!

Disclaimer: Exodus Audio's Kevin Haskins and I are close friends, so don't just take my word for it. Others, on various forums, have had some great things to say as well. Check it out for yourself.

Best Regards,
TerryO

not exactly what your looking for but close, uses a 6.5" driver down to 25hz and slim enclosure. I use four in my bedroom.

Reed Exodus Anarchy 25hz Tapped Horn - AVS Forum

Thanks, radman12! I actually have ordered 2 of these and they are in transit. I'm actually looking for my next build. Possibly a bigger box with a larger speaker that plays lower and louder. :D

The Exodus Audio "Anarchy" woofer is a wonderful choice for a tapped horn of reasonable size. It's also an excellent woofer that outperforms just about any 6.5 driver in use for 2 or 3-way speakers. Great sounding, low distortion with SOTA XBL2 Motor and phenomenal X-max!

Disclaimer: Exodus Audio's Kevin Haskins and I are close friends, so don't just take my word for it. Others, on various forums, have had some great things to say as well. Check it out for yourself.

Best Regards,
TerryO

It looks like a well built speaker. I can't wait for it to arrive and listen to it. :)

I would like it as flat as possible. I'm currently considering the Lab12 TH build seen here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/143714-lab12-tapped-horn.html This is an ideal build for me, but I would prefer a smaller box so I can build multiples of them and place them around my room to reduce room modes.

here's a couple with some economically priced MCM 8" subwoofers. With a steep 4th Order Xover @ 80 Hz, I'm thinking they should turn out decent. Both are about 80L.

MCM55-2421.jpg

MCM55-3421.jpg

unfortunately no. I haven't mastered the art of the whole CAD/Sketchup thing yet. I'm thinking about picking up perhaps 4 of those MCM woofers myself, and trying them out. The parameters look great, with the exception of the Fs--too low for an 8" IMO. Nothing a thin layer of silicone on the spider won't fix though.

Last edited:
I'm thinking about picking up perhaps 4 of those MCM woofers myself, and trying them out. The parameters look great, with the exception of the Fs--too low for an 8" IMO.

I had a couple a few years ago, and I remember reading that the published T/S specs are (or were) pretty far off. If memory serves, think of a Fs more like 30hz, and a Qts. of .3. I used them in a mini el-pipe-o (to limited success, but it was a WAG), a little sub with a passive radiator and a vented sub (built with the remnants of the pipe). I used the numbers I had found for the sims, and the latter boxes worked well (and do to this day for those I gave them to). The story goes that the suspension tends to get awfully floppy over time, leading to an increasingly large VAS, so they might not be ideal for vented. But a TH would control excursion better, so they will probably work fine.

I'm sitting on a pair of TB W8-740Cs, which, if appearances don't deceive, are definitely worth the extra $$ (though it is only a little more for the Trio8). Still trying to decide whether to turn them into THs of some sort. (Was working on the amp for it today, but I accidently destroyed the power transformer). But I really like the size of the THs based on 6.5" speakers. I might have to sell/trade the W8s!

Paul
Wild Burro Audio Labs - DIY Full Range Speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.