Best way to learn Hornsrep

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Guys,

I have a question here. Alot off the tutorials I have looked at do a 3 segment horn and keep the length off S1 the same as S4 which is the front and back driver measurements yet on the 4 segment one Oliver did for me has a S5 length value 4 times the length off S1.

I tried the following drivers:

AV15X
AV15H
Tangband WQ-1858
LAB12
AV12X
AV12H

I wanted to see how a single AV15X would compare to a Dual AV12X and something was really wierd. To get a really good response for the AV15X it looks like you need a 900l box. I would have thought it would have been smaller than the dual AV12X.

On one tutorial I went on it suggested 2 x SD for S4 which I should have entered 1600 but had to enter 2000 to get the response looking right.

Here are the snap shots off what I have done. Does it look right. Phase looks good.

Feel free to model them yourselves, be interesting to see what you guys come up with to compare.

cheers

Graham

Attachments

• AV15X PARAMS.jpg
    AV15X PARAMS.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 82
  • AV15X SPL.jpg
    AV15X SPL.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 85
  • AV15X PHASE.jpg
    AV15X PHASE.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 80
  • AV15X EXCURSION.jpg
    AV15X EXCURSION.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 81
  • AV15X ELECTRICAL IMP.jpg
    AV15X ELECTRICAL IMP.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 79
  • AV15X SCHEMATIC.jpg
    AV15X SCHEMATIC.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 25
  • AV15X ACOUSTIC IMP.jpg
    AV15X ACOUSTIC IMP.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 24
  • AV15X GROUP DELAY.jpg
    AV15X GROUP DELAY.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 23
Oliver,

The problem is I want something to better the ported subs I have and 15-17hz is where I need to be in order to still get some good infrasonics but that obviously means longer horn and bigger box.

I did a model on the FI Q12 2010 driver. The FS is pretty high but it looks like it models quite well.

What do you think.

cheers

Graham

Attachments

• FI Q12 PARAMS.jpg
    FI Q12 PARAMS.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 34
Oliver,

That's an impressive driver but way over what I can spend.
Its definetly a hard steep learning curve this. Forgive me if we've spoke about this before but what is the difference in con, exp and par sims. On most tutorials I've been on, they are set to con. I have tried searching on the tutorials to find this out but can't seem to find the info I need. I've probably frazzled my brain with the amount off info my brain has taken in. :scratch::scratch:

I am still playing with different drivers to see what works best.

cheers

Graham

Con, Exp, and Par are difficult to explain, and get everyone to follow along. They are pretty simple concepts though. One of the reason most of the tutorials use Con is because they were done before the Par option was added. It is still a pretty new feature.

Con-Conical
Exp-Exponential
Par-Parabolic

These indicate the mathematical expansion of the section as you move from the throat to the mouth. In Hornresp this is simulated as a true horn with a circular cross section.

This becomes more involved where one builds a square/rectangle cross sectional horn instead. The volume will be different in the real build then the sim, because you are not using circular pathways as the sim did, unless you account for it in your folding.

It will take a lot of pictures, and math to explain it more indepth than this. (This is something I will add to the HR How-To in a bit.)

Suffice to say, if you don't get it use Par for your subs, and don't worry about it, as that is what it was added for. If you are doing something other than a bass horn, you need to look into it some more though.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.