Cheap 10inch woofer in tapped horn? what would you do? - Page 8 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th December 2011, 01:33 PM   #71
diyAudio Member

threw the box in the back of a friends van.

wired the same amp at 0.25ohm.

did 151.7dB at 52Hz?

box has now been scrapped, its sitting out in the rain.
Old 28th December 2011, 03:15 PM   #72
diyAudio Member

lol, nice thread. What are you doing with the drivers now?
Old 29th December 2011, 04:40 AM   #73
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThyDntWntMusic View Post
threw the box in the back of a friends van.

wired the same amp at 0.25ohm.

did 151.7dB at 52Hz?

box has now been scrapped, its sitting out in the rain.
You should have gotten some ground plane measurements just to see how it stacks up to other subwoofers on this forum (I know I know it was designed to be used IN the car, but still woulda been neat)
Old 29th December 2011, 08:05 AM   #74
OscarS is offline OscarS  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Steele View Post
Something's not right there. If the WT3 is not giving consistent results, then you need to investigate why and fix it. For example, remove any possible external factors that might be interfering with the measurements (e.g. take the measurements with all windows up, the car off and the subwoofer disconnected from the amplifier).
Old thread I know, but for what it's worth, one cannot measure T/S parameters since the speakers are in an enclosure. The reason the specs come in differently is not because of cone area as had been suggested, it is because there are two main impedance minimums, which then causes several impedance peaks which is what the WT3 looks for when calculating T/S parameters; but with two peaks it is surely getting confused and doesn't know which one to "hone in" on because a free-air (or baffled) speaker only has one impedance peak from which to extract T/S parameters.
Old 29th December 2011, 08:31 AM   #75
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarS View Post
Old thread I know, but for what it's worth, one cannot measure T/S parameters since the speakers are in an enclosure. The reason the specs come in differently is not because of cone area as had been suggested, it is because there are two main impedance minimums, which then causes several impedance peaks which is what the WT3 looks for when calculating T/S parameters; but with two peaks it is surely getting confused and doesn't know which one to "hone in" on because a free-air (or baffled) speaker only has one impedance peak from which to extract T/S parameters.
Really? I thought WT3 was supposed to be able to measure this too. You'd use it within those circumstances when adjusting an AP membrane to achieve the tuning you want- I haven't done this myself yet, but know of others who have.
Old 29th December 2011, 12:31 PM   #76
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarS View Post
Old thread I know, but for what it's worth, one cannot measure T/S parameters since the speakers are in an enclosure.
The intent was to use the WT3 to measure the impedance response, not the t/s parameters.
Old 29th December 2011, 07:43 PM   #77
OscarS is offline OscarS  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBaronGroog View Post
Really? I thought WT3 was supposed to be able to measure this too. You'd use it within those circumstances when adjusting an AP membrane to achieve the tuning you want- I haven't done this myself yet, but know of others who have.
Measure what, impedance? Of course, one of it's main functions is to generate an impedance curve that can be a tool for tuning an enclosure. I wasn't attempting to debate that, simply stating that the WT3 cannot "look" for parameters while a speaker is installed in an enclosure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Steele View Post
The intent was to use the WT3 to measure the impedance response, not the t/s parameters.
..then perhaps I misunderstood your reply to that post. I know you know your stuff
Old 29th December 2011, 11:38 PM   #78
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBaronGroog View Post
lol, nice thread. What are you doing with the drivers now?
they're sitting in the basement (aka, "rape dungeon")

I have 18 of them now, one the rubber gasket on the front is completely unglued

and nearly all of them are starting to de-laminate, so the yellow "kevlar" is separating from the cone surface

they didn't last long...

however, I still plan to make some tapped horns for them, probably when I'm not living in my parents house...

Hide this!Advertise here!