Use Linkwitz Transform to reduce size of Enclosure? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st January 2011, 04:06 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris661 View Post
Here's some reading for you.
ESP - The Linkwitz Transform Circuit
Sounds like you've taken the displacement required into consideration. In that case, experiment with the circuit (try different Q of the response - some say Q=0.5 is better than Q=0.7).
Looking briefly at some sims, an 8" driver will need to move 9mm each way to reproduce 20Hz at 86dB. This wouldn't be audible, but will eat up a lot of headroom. I'd set a target for more like 30Hz, but that's just me...

Sreten, if you eq a response to be flat, does a resonance disappear? Then surely, a system with a resonance in it's frequency range could exhibit that resonance from time to time?

Chris
Chris, I went through the link, Although I had read the link some time b4 but it makes more sense reading it now. Thanks for the timely pointer. I took displacement into consideration because whatever SPL I can achieve is what I have to compromise with. I would further post my experiments here.

One thing we all realize that no design or topology is perfect answer when it comes to speaker design. one benefit is achieved at the cost of other.
So yes. this thread has helped me a lot to understand about LT. what you say if tuning to f3 @ 30Hz makes sense. for two reasons. first 20 hz can't be distinctly heard. second , Gaining some benefit of spl. also I think the very low frequencies but in audioable range makes bass sound boomy if room is not acoustically treated. If i am not mistaken the room gain typically is between 50 Hz to 20Hz for most of the home listening area.

But yes I would like to taste how it would sounds practical by setting f3 at different frequencies. But please tell me apart from technical glitches how does this sound like. i mean compared with vented design or something else.

And yes, cannot thank enough to all who has shared valuable experience enriching this thread. wish to hear more from you. Thanks.
Old 2nd January 2011, 09:55 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Changing the f3 using a LT will give subjective results. You'll find a happy medium between driver distortion (running out of Xmax etc), and bass extension. You'll also find that some f3s will sound better in your room than others. Setting a shallower rolloff (Q=0.5) will probably help to integrate the subwoofer's rolloff with room gain, as (usually) the lower the frequency, the more room gain you get. Putting the subwoofer next to a wall will help re-inforce the bass, at the possible expense of boomy-ness. If it does sound boomy, play around with the f3 and Q of the system. This will help it to combine smoothly with the added gain of being put near a wall (quarter space instead of half space, being on the floor).
So, you'll find that certain settings will suit you and your room. I can't tell you what to use, though I can suggest different things.

You're welcome!
Chris
Old 5th January 2011, 05:05 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Yes I agree... LT is like using graphic equalizer and setting the frequency gain to attain lower f3. what would you say what should be the Xmax that should be considered while designing. I think it should be 75% of what is recommended by the mfg. cause while simulating it on WinIsd we see limit at that single frequency. but real music wave has lot of other smaller wavelength frequency riding it. what do you say?
Old 5th January 2011, 09:01 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
If you need 50W to play your Mid and Treble drivers which are both rated at 88dB/W @ 1m then +12dB of LT gain requires 800W to get the same SPL from an 88dB/W @ 1m bass driver.
If the bass driver is 85dB/W @ 1m the bass driver will need 1600W to match the 50W driving the Mid and Treble. I see that as a big problem.
This is a textbook quotation, (and this is the sort of stuff which may put people off using a LTX system) in the real world the level of signal in the music at say 30HZ is low, compared to 50Hz+, so even with boost levels of 12dB normal amp outputs (100-150W) are more than enough.
A more essential need is a warp filter if you use vinyl as a source.
Old 5th January 2011, 09:25 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aucosticraft View Post
50liters of enclosure with f3 of 50Hz and design Qtc = 0.7 and implement Linkwitz Transform to get F3 of 20Hz.
A point to note: Lets assume you use an LTX to acheive -3db at 20Hz with a q of 0.707 (classic butterworth rolloff), but the actual response will not follow this curve at lower frequencies, as your power amps -3db point will now become significant (say even if its -3db is at 5Hz).
Old 5th January 2011, 10:49 AM   #16
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry8 View Post
This is a textbook quotation, (and this is the sort of stuff which may put people off using a LTX system) in the real world the level of signal in the music at say 30HZ is low, compared to 50Hz+, so even with boost levels of 12dB normal amp outputs (100-150W) are more than enough.
A more essential need is a warp filter if you use vinyl as a source.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry8 View Post
A point to note: Lets assume you use an LTX to acheive -3db at 20Hz with a q of 0.707 (classic butterworth rolloff), but the actual response will not follow this curve at lower frequencies, as your power amps -3db point will now become significant (say even if its -3db is at 5Hz).
I have never written a text book.
I do not have a text book on Linkwitz transforms nor on EQed speakers.

If you listen to enough different source material at the same volume level, then eventually you will find that the peak voltage across the whole frequency spectrum is the same, or near enough.
On that basis it is useless to say that 20Hz peak Voltage is always much less than 50Hz peak voltage. Don't delude your self.

On one hand you suggest a steep cut high pass filter to attenuate LF and then criticise an amplifier that rolls off early F-3dB ~5Hz.
Power amplifiers that need to reproduce wideband audio sources should extend to F-1dB ~2Hz to 4Hz. If a particular source needs a high pass filter than that should be applied before the signal arrives at the Power Amplifier.
Old 5th January 2011, 02:07 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aucosticraft View Post
Yes I agree... LT is like using graphic equalizer and setting the frequency gain to attain lower f3. what would you say what should be the Xmax that should be considered while designing. I think it should be 75% of what is recommended by the mfg. cause while simulating it on WinIsd we see limit at that single frequency. but real music wave has lot of other smaller wavelength frequency riding it. what do you say?
You're using the Linkwitz Transform on a subwoofer, so it won't see the higher frequencies, because it'll be crossed over. For excursion calculations, they can be safely ignored.
If I was you, I'd try to keep excursion minimal (a couple of mm p/p for normal levels - mine needed to be run at less than that, they had 3mm of Xmax), that way you'd have some headroom for when it gets turned up. Remember that +6dB required twice the excursion at the same frequency. An octave lower (half the frequency) requires 4x the excursion.
So, if you have a driver moving at 2mm p/p at 50Hz, for the same volume setting at 25Hz, you'd require 8mm of excursion. Now add a LT circuit to make 25Hz and 50Hz the same level (will require ~12dB of gain), you'd make it move another 4x, so 32mm of excursion will be required. Clearly, this must be approached with care.
Mechanical damage occurs very quickly, whereas thermal overload takes time. That said, don't discount power ratings altogether. Just bear in mind what you'll be putting the driver through.

Chris

PS - 30Hz with a Q of 0.7 or 40Hz with a Q of 0.5 would likely be good starting points.
Old 5th January 2011, 05:56 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

I was using for a while a Kef Kube 200. It is a Linkwitz transform device that changes the lower curve from about 80 to 20Hz. Great tool, but with limitations. It makes a good speaker sound very deep and low. But be carefull for what you are asking for. It comes at a price. Much harder on the driver as the correction curve is usually around 12-15db. Much longer cone excursion that will limit the overall SPL, and big amp required. Fine if you listen your music at volume not too high.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 5th January 2011, 08:15 PM   #19
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
If you listen to enough different source material at the same volume level,
then eventually you will find that the peak voltage across the whole
frequency spectrum is the same, or near enough.
On that basis it is useless to say that 20Hz peak Voltage is always
much less than 50Hz peak voltage. Don't delude your self.
Hi, quite simply no you won't and only one person is deluded here, rgds, sreten.

Its your pet theory and its simply wrong, for all real recordings, as said before.
It does not stand up to any sensible and practical analysis of the real case.
Old 5th January 2011, 08:35 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to kipman725
no Andrew is correct I can think of many tracks where the greatest amplitude signals are <50Hz I can also think of a few where the greatest amplitude signals are <20Hz necessitating the need for high pass filters on most systems or some kind of dynamic limiting. A 11Hz fundamental signal going though 12dB of gain from a circuit similar to a LT is not pretty in terms of cone excursion (cone slams into mechanical limits).

Hide this!Advertise here!