dual 8" bass bins driver suggestions?? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th December 2010, 04:29 AM   #11
jwmbro is offline jwmbro  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbell View Post
shameless plug for one of mikes designs -- sounds like it's exactly what you are looking for.

Reed Exodus Anarchy 25hz Tapped Horn - AVS Forum
It feels oddly sacrilegious correcting jbell on tapped horn matters, since much I know about TH's and other tapped resonators I learned from him.

However, as the OP already stated, I don't think this design will be good up to 200Hz (quite a high xover imo... is it a small fullranger on top?).

In my experience a TH will cover about 2 octaves. So, depending on how low you want to get, a TH might still be a reasonable option. Will only get down to 50Hz though.

At what frequency are you thinking about crossing over to your corner subwoofer? Or do you intend to run the bass bins all the way down, with additional subwoofer?
Old 4th December 2010, 12:59 PM   #12
jbell is offline jbell  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmbro View Post
It feels oddly sacrilegious correcting jbell on tapped horn matters, since much I know about TH's and other tapped resonators I learned from him.

However, as the OP already stated, I don't think this design will be good up to 200Hz (quite a high xover imo... is it a small fullranger on top?).

In my experience a TH will cover about 2 octaves. So, depending on how low you want to get, a TH might still be a reasonable option. Will only get down to 50Hz though.

At what frequency are you thinking about crossing over to your corner subwoofer? Or do you intend to run the bass bins all the way down, with additional subwoofer?
Here's mike's 2pi measurements. Yea it's not ruler smooth from 100-200, but with a 150 cross on the sub to tame the 150-200 peak, and a 200cross on the tops, should be very acceptable.
Click the image to open in full size.

A tower with 4 mcm 55-2421 would also be a cheap option, although not ruler flat to 30 hz like mikes design....
Old 4th December 2010, 04:39 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

I plan to run the bass bins with active crossover around 200hz to make my stereo pair full range. Corner sub is to add low effects only for HT

Not totally satisfied with the bass from my standmount speakers which are otherwise wonderfull, So I'm making them 3 way

Right now I am just running them as small and using my HT reciever to crossover to a pair of home brewed mono subs under the standmounts but the current subs are based on 2-12's with 15" wide cabinets and are not found to be attractive, hence the mandate to build something no wider than my standmounts

I own all the amps and crossovers so just need to pick the best 8" woofers
Old 5th December 2010, 01:43 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmark View Post

Right now I am just running them as small and using my HT reciever to crossover to a pair of home brewed mono subs under the standmounts but the current subs are based on 2-12's with 15" wide cabinets and are not found to be attractive, hence the mandate to build something no wider than my standmounts
Are you standmounts exactly 9 inches wide? From a proportion and aesthetic point of view, the bass bins should be slightly wider than the width of the speakers sitting on them, to give a good proportion of larger base and stability. Unless you are shooting for a parallel sides look where everything is the same width from the top to bottom. Would also gives you a bit more volume to work with for the bass bins.
Old 6th December 2010, 11:11 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Any thoughts on the Newer Scanspeak Discovery series they show an 8" woofer that is affordable ?

https://www.madisound.com/store/prod...oducts_id=8772

Last edited by johnmark; 6th December 2010 at 11:23 PM.
Old 7th December 2010, 12:18 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Or the 8" SLS at PE ?

Peerless 830667 8" Paper Cone SLS Subwoofer | Parts-Express.com

Hide this!Advertise here!