Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th November 2010, 10:45 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

18 hurts--- nice name

but yes, you're right, that's quite the challenge to propose, knowing i have all the time, paper, CAD ambition and software i need, and little if any of the funding and technical background/experience it would take, but how could I back down?

Seriously though, thank you, tapped horn's seem to be the next "transmission line" for subdesign, so i'm more than interested in tackling the mini project. Right, i keep working afordability into the equation and ended up at the smallest round subwoofer that seemed legit, and so here I am, and honestly i'm more excited about the prospect now that it's taking it's dwarfed shape.
I've also given up on MDF... mainly because there's still alot of assembly required, which by all means was one of the original reason I got interested in big cabinet building, but at this scale, super mini scale, i'm feeling the rapid prototype ABS laser molded plastic vibe.

The deal sounds good though, if my predictions are correct, I could then take the driver from the AM-5 which i'm guessing is 5", and have a scaled up version of the TH 3d printed, and then trade up from there... hopefully to a 8" or 12", where I could start with the lazer cut MDF designs.

Horn-resping this out, and figureing out how much "compression" or whatever the initial size of the horn should be is my next step so i know the horn params... then teaming up with a 3d modeling buddy to fold it up in 3d and make it nice and pretty like will be my long, possibly projecting ending middle step. From there it should be a few dollars and a quick attaching of the sub to the plastic till anything is heard. I'll probably design the active peripherals, or at least plan for them (to hide them within) and add space for a transistor and a little panel, though that's more to allow it to go to "production" without significant or un-forseen redesign, i don't really have any talent in electrical eng.

Would love to see a mini-mini...

thanks 18. ps. i couldn't figure out what a fs was

@jbell thank you, your friend's horn resp guide is beautiful and very illustrated, it cleared up alot of confusion. just what i was looking for! thx again
Old 30th November 2010, 12:27 AM   #12
jbell is offline jbell  United States
diyAudio Member

well if you liked mike's tutorial... you'll love his baby 6.5" cabinet.
Reed Exodus Anarchy 25hz Tapped Horn - AVS Forum

If nothing else, seeing how a long TH is folded up would be of interest in your design for this 2" driver.
Old 30th November 2010, 09:58 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Cool project, I'm all in favour of compact designs, it presents a challange beyond just achiving a resonable result in specs.

Regarding the link jbell psoted above, it's waaay to big for a 6,5" here's another way of folding when the space is limited :

TH-Micro - a 6,5" tapped horn

But this design is far more of a size compromise in comparison.

Last edited by martinsson; 30th November 2010 at 10:03 AM.
Old 30th November 2010, 06:42 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

marntinsson- you're saying that that first picture is too large a horn for the specified driver? My original approach was the tripple folded TH similar to the jbell pic... i like the inverted folded sort of approach in the diagram of your link. I can imagine I'm going to be building a long super super skinney five foot folded horn. I'm stalling on horn resp. till i get to a PC, but i kind of understand what to do next...

jbell thanks man for the immense help! Hope to talk to you guys soon...
Old 30th November 2010, 09:12 PM   #15
soho54 is offline soho54  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinsson View Post
Regarding the link jbell psoted above, it's waaay to big for a 6,5" here's another way of folding when the space is limited :
If you want to go lower you have to up the size. littlemike's starts fading in the 20s, yours in the 40s.
Old 1st December 2010, 12:42 AM   #16
18Hurts is offline 18Hurts  United States
diyAudio Member

bnb,

I was looking at the Aurasound 4" aluminum woofer that has a Fs of 57 Hz and Xmax of 5.45 mm--that little thing would get you well into the 30s and costs $13.
I'm looking for a 5" with an Fs of 32 Hz and can't find one.

https://www.madisound.com/store/prod...oducts_id=8996

Regular price is $31.50 so the $13.00 price would be cheaper than the 2" TB and should (could?) give you all the low end you need for music at your computer.
Old 1st December 2010, 07:11 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
If you want to go lower you have to up the size. littlemike's starts fading in the 20s, yours in the 40s.
Absolutly true soho54, littlemike´s design is indeed very impressive, my design does not even come close in sub preformance, there's the compromise.

I would really like to build littlemike´s design someday, a true sub TH is very tempting and it is resonable in size aswell, my SPL requirements are modest and I'm sure I would be happy with it, it sure would be fun to have a real sub for once.

More compact TH's, this is a very intresting segment.
Old 3rd December 2010, 01:21 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Default box designs

Click the image to open in full size.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg subs2.jpg (31.3 KB, 185 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!