C/E/X PA Flat to 30 (FT30) PA TH Awesomeness

imo all subs are comprises. lets not forget the origin of the ss15 the goal was to make a light weight cheap efficient sub out of 1 sheet. that goal is reached . if you want more spl,lower ect.you have to make it bigger ,heavier,more expencive ...:2c:
In case of the SS15 more SPL doesn't cost more money, just a better driver. With relative small correction you can gain a little around 45 - 60Hz area.

Similar performance but cheaper:
18Sound 15W700
Improved performance, stronger cone, stronger motor and cheaper:

Faital Pro 15FH500

Monacor SP-15/500FH
RCF L15P200AK

maybe now,but back then the eminence was much cheaper then nowadays.
if you mean with a smal correction bracing,that could go eihter way.

i dont see that all of a sudden the ss15 is rubbish.
quite a few people seem to love it.
admitted i never tested them,i can only go on the opinions posted here.

Nobody stated the design or concept was/is rubbish, but I also questioned the 3015lf driver from the beginning. Besides bracing (that everybody can add if he wants) the S1 - S2 area is still not fully optimised, imo. It also sounds good down to 40Hz with an extender as long you don't need > 120Hz.

Hi!

My thoughts re SS15 loading:

15w700 I tried it innit; reproved weak BL, Mms 80 g thin cone, now low end; just like 15NMB420.

From T/S pars:
Faital 15FH500 low Fs, Mms 104g BL 19, high Qms 10.4;
Monacor SP15-500FH low Fs, Mms 89 g, Qms 10.4;

These three above have 75mm voice coils maybe better candidates for top two projects.

RCF L15-200AK maybe the best to try due Fs 38Hz, Mms 121g, BL 21 only a bit better,
Qms lower 6.4, 9,5mm x-max, 4" voice coil (better heat dissip.).

At Pe and mechanical limits you can separate the best one much better than with 1W/1M.

Regards,

NEO Dan, I saved the photo and then enlarged it 200% in paint.

The coil overhang is 43 pixels, the gap is 38 pixels. If the gap is 0.365" that would make the coil overhang 0.413", or about 10.5mm. They claim 9.6mm, so the cut-away driver must have had the cone displaced upwards a bit in the photo.

I suspect your total coil length of 0.75" was for the 3015HO, not the 3015LF.

The numbers just don't add up (with the photo).

Last edited:
It is ~123 pixels high, so if the top plate is ~40 pixels and 0.365" then the coil would be about 1.1224", so the overhang would be about 0.379" (9.6mm).
Eminence seems very good about living up to specifications.

The 9.6 mm Xmax it shows on the 3015LF spec sheet is no doubt true, the problem is the light cone handles that excursion O.K. in a BR enclosure, but the extra cone pressures when it is put in a TH makes it fold up like a cheap suit when pushed hard.

Other Eminence cones designed for horn or BR work, like the HL10, the Lab 12, and the Lab 15, hold up well under pressure.

I have purchased from them before. A custom 12 with a 0.3125 top plate, 2" coil, and a 54 oz magnet. And two different 15 models, both with 0.375 top plates, one with a 2-1/2" coil and 54oz, the other with a 3" coil and 95oz (PA stuff).

Last edited:
What I meant was strong with output. It may sound fine at low power, but drive it to its AES rating and it may not sound so good. Many on here have commented on tapped horns with light cones and uneven loading sounding distressed at higher output...

But didn't Tom Danley say a while back, how he had to create a glass window in the side of a cabinet in order to see what was going on (with repeated cone failures) and when a certain frequency was hit, the cone would fold up....