How do I use Hornresp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been looking at some TL designs and I'm getting more and more interested in this! Some I've got Hornresp but have no idea how to use it!

hornresp-t2-001.gif

I just found this pic on the net as an example! For instance what does the entire half parameters mean? Are they something to do with the enclosure? then I know the bottom half is the driver parameters but I haven't seen all Vrc, Ap, Vtc, Lrc, Lpt and Atc before, what are these?

Okay so once I have put all of these in what doe I do then? Calculate? I enter the Qes and Fs then get something else I don't understand! A diagram of a horn with no markings then the S1, S2... values beneth!

Someone give me a hand, thanks!

Oh yeh and how do I calculate it for two drivers in one enclosure?

Thanks
Boscoe.

Well, realistically you are going to have to do what the rest of have done.

Go through the help file included in the program and then work through (from the begining of the thread) some of the examples given by various DIYers. I would even suggest taking notes that you can refer to. This is a powerful program that will save you from many false starts. It is worth the time & effort.

For TL designs, there is other software that may be more appropriate. Again, use the search fucntion and work through some of the threads. There is no magic 100-word summary.

Last edited:
Okay thanks, will have a look.

I think I got it wrong tho I think I actually want to make a tapped horn. Like THIS but with an 8" driver. Did I read someone had got a design for an 8"?

Possible?

Well, if you are doing a TH design, the HornResp is perfect. You will need the specs for the speaker (this is a must, don't guess). If it is a new driver, the manufacturer will have these listed.

Please keep in mind that the simulations are sensitive to the loading (2pi space etc). Also keep in mind the other data and not just the freq response (eg, excursion)

Well here we are now in the year 2019, and hornresp is still NO better in terms of easy use the interface is still a bag of nails.Programs inner workings have improved but the user interface is NOT 21st century.

Never the less it is a very useful program and well worth learning IMO. One of the first things is learning to input the TS parameters. Select edit and then double click on "sd" and you will get a dialog that allows you to enter the parameters and then it will calculate the data that it needs. There are many little trick that you will need to learn along the way but there is a sticky for horn resp and you can search it and ask questions there as you go.

I have used it to sim TLs often. I usually do 1/3 2/3 lines. I will fill in the top section with place holders and then do most of the work in the loudspeaker wizard.

So in edit mode I use the driver arrangement tool to select offset driver. Then I set s1, s2, and s3 to something a bit larger than the driver SD. I double click on the flare for each segment until they say conical and then set the segment lengths so that segment two is twice segment one (e.g.70 and 140). Then start the loudspeaker wizard.

In the wizard S2 will be set to manual. Double click on the word manual to change it to auto so that as you change s1 and s3 it will hold a continuous flare. Select power instead of schematic from the pull down and be sure that combined is selected. Now you can experiment making s1 larger and s3 smaller as well as adjusting segment lengths (keeping them proportional). Once you have what you like hit save. That should get you started.

attachment.php

Attachments

• TLexample.png
    TLexample.png
    59.5 KB · Views: 2,001
Re Masfer: Well I have been playing with it so far I can sim IB +BR +TL using the wizards only.Personally I think it would be better to start blank instead of default horn as using the top bar menue it wont let me load a different driver.Also no luck yet with higher order reflexes.However I will study your helpfull reply.I have copied projects posted on this site but no joy actually running any of them.Once I start manually entering the parameters like in your screenshot most of the top bar menue greys out and then i can get no futher.As you say a usefull tool and derigure on this site but I do think the user interface could be much better I have been using CAD since the 1980s and never had to struggle like this.Except for Eagle pcd cad which used to slowly shred my hard drive with lost clusters.BTW its the latest version could that be the problem???? It seems and I stress SEEMS to be buggy!!!! But then I`ve no previous of it.Still I shall persivere,Thanks for your reply I will take note.Best regards.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.