Small sub to double as speaker stand - How?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
About six years ago, I made a subwoofer with a Peerless XLS 10" driver and matching passive radiator. I built an extra box.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/34669-10-xls-semi-finished.html

(BTW, I later swapped a couple of resisters to modify the "boost" down to a mere 2db at 20 Hz.)

I have replaced the mains with far superior units. So yesterday I decided to turn the second box into a matching sub, but OH NO! - I cannot find an XLS 10" passive radiator anywhere. All out of stock or discontinued, everywhere I look.

So,

QUESTION 1: Are any available anywhere?

QUESTION 2: If not, what do I do now? The idea is to have two compact subs that double as speaker stands for the mains. If I have to make two new ones, okay, but I do not know what to use for drivers etc...

Last edited:
Madisound has them in 400 gram

https://www.madisound.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=687

Peerless 831481 10" XLS 400g Passive Radiator (830481)

$82.90 each

I'm with you, I built a subwoofer with isobarik paired 15s motivating an 18" PR, love the sound of them.

Pulled the trigger too quick!

There is always the option to replace the other passive with a new pair of passives, I don't think you like that idea. The only other thing I can think of is to compare the passive you already have against the Peerless woofer to see if they are identical. If they are, you could always get another woofer, remove the magnet, voice coil and dust cap to epoxy a wood plug and bolt into the former. Glue the dust cap back on and load the bolt with some washers.

Good to hear you found one,

To get the weight, go to a hardware store that sells nails, screws etc. by weight. 1 ounce = 28.4 grams so if you need 4.75 ounces of hardware. Just throw the M5 bolt, lock washer and keep stacking the washers they have until you hit 4.75 ounces.

If you want to make absolutely sure, swing buy a post office to weigh your "package" to see how many stamps you'll need to mail it. Just throw the stuff in an envelope.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.