Subwoofer for my Warfdales - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th November 2010, 11:01 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Hi Artl,

Could i suggest that you look at the JBL GT5-12" subwoofer, it is only around 10 pounds more then the skytronic, but you get a quality brand, twice the power handling and over twice the Xmax (14mm).

In a 6 cubic foot box the skytronic driver will exceed Xmax with only 100 watt input power, even with a High Pass Filter, the JBL tuned to 22Hz with a HPF at 18Hz and 250 watt input power will give you, 91db @15Hz, 107db @20Hz and 109db @25Hz onwards!

You would need two 4" ports to avoid any port noise, compression etc, I can vouch for the quality of the subwoofer i have 12 of them.

6 cubic feet is pretty big but you will get used to it very quickly, i have dual 15 cubic foot boxes in my room of 3.5m by 4.0m and i don't notice them that much any more.
Old 12th November 2010, 11:06 AM   #12
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

If you build a 2 cuft box and stuff it well you should be able to get the Q
somewhat lower than 0.9, though you could go a little higher, say 2.5cuft,
(assuming the published Vas is accurate, you can check driver parameter
consistency in WinISDPro, and quite a few other things not in WinISDbeta.)

Room gain is a fickle thing, the box roll-off might work well or add a bass
boost circuit very low, similar to Baffle Step Compensation
but with a much bigger capacitor.

rgds, sreten.
Old 12th November 2010, 06:59 PM   #13
ArtL is offline ArtL  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Chris> "but parameters are available, which is a plus...)."
Yes, and a very interesting site, well laid out and a delight for dialup use not overblown and stuffed like most commercial sites these days, also first one that I've seen that includes suggestions/plans for enclosures, a lot of stuff to prowl through. Mind you, my first efforts in the two flavours of WinISDs at duplicating the TIW300 box are not going well in the port dimension department !

>"it'd help if you told us your budget, musical preferences"
Budget is very flex, musical prefs range from classical thro folk and ethnic most of which dont need extended bass but I also like solo church and cathedral organ stuff (Bach and all that) which is nice if you can hear/feel the 32ft and 64ft pipes Sound level req. is modest, I dont need to raise the roof nor rattle the floorboards.
>"What will you drive this with.... "
Yet to be decided, initially prob something cheapish from Ritcher till I build some mosfets.(project no2)

Homeboy>"JBL GT5-12" subwoofer, it is only around 10 pounds more"
Not a problem, buget is wide , thanks for the suggestion to JBL, looks good.
>"i have 12 of them"
eeek! what all at once ? some sort of distributed array ?!
I will have to consult the domestic staff before I widen the budget that far !
Old 12th November 2010, 07:45 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

I made dual subwoofers over the summer, each are 15 cubic feet gross, with four 12" subs in each, they are tuned to around 21Hz, they only get 400 watt input power, but the bass they produce is awesome.

Also i am building a 14 cubic foot TV stand with 4 of the jbls and i'll tune that to 15Hz for some serious infra sonic bass!

I have a skytronic 8" kevalar sub i got last year and its not bad for the money, their speakers are pretty decent, but i would still go with the JBL.
Old 12th November 2010, 09:36 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

I think it'd be best to drive the subwoofer with something decent from the start, cheaper stuff tends to be underdone in the power supply department. I'd recommend a look through here: 41Hz Audio:Sounds Good to Me! - the stuff they do is reasonably cheap, but can shove out a decent amount of power. I built the amp6-b, and it's pretty damn good. Doesn't show itself up on the end of some Fostex drivers, which usually do well at pointing out everything wrong with a solid state amplifier (admittedly, I tried a cheap class AB thing through them, it was awful). So, the quality should be good, and the power speaks for itself.

In your position, I'd consider two 12" or 10" cabinets, used in stereo... 1x12" per side should be sufficient (though 2x12" per side would be much more impressive). I'd also go sealed, as sealed cabinets tend to be more flexible towards some eq - ported cabinets unload the drivers below port tuning, and if you're looking for *some* output all the way down, having the drivers unload and bottom out if you go too low isn't going to be of much use. Yeah... I'm a sealed cabinet fan.

Chris
Old 13th November 2010, 09:05 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Homeboy>"even with a High Pass Filter,"
Hmmm, that is going to cause more headscratching as I no longer have access to Zverev ! Any good filter design links ?
>"a HPF at 18Hz"
gosh, that will need some pretty big inductors ??

Chris>"look through here: 41Hz Audio:"
Another good link to add to my growing collection, thanks.
They dont supply transformers for the PSUs, and Maplin dont carry much anymore
Old 13th November 2010, 10:25 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

CPC do stuff up to 1000VA. Search under transformers and narrow it down from there.
Old 13th November 2010, 11:06 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

many thanks, nice one, found them.
Old 13th November 2010, 11:31 PM   #19
bjorno is offline bjorno  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to bjorno
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtL View Post
..bjorno> "T-TQWT"
errr ? I found TQWT via google but what is the T- bit ?
I fear that my woodworking skills may not be up to
that ! Perhaps for my second project LOL! and those
resonances/comb structure looks a bit fearsome.
I will have to do a lot more reading on that, thanks for
the pointer tho,,
Hi,

T stands for Tapped and as GM wrote:'the specs had TL 'written' all over them', I too agree.
A T-TQWT is IMO a very simple enclosure to work with:
Just a box with an internal divider + an access lid where the terminus is located but if not mounted, turns the T-TQWT into an OD-TL(TQWT) Offset Driver that comes very handy for an in-room smooth FR if the box is placed in a 0.5PI corner where most speakers picks up a lot of boundary gain.

The wavelet picture is misleading because it shows an un-stuffed box: You have to shave off a lot of shown resonances and combs before an interpretation can justify the T-TQWT: See the picture..

b
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sky-imp-resp.JPG (462.5 KB, 59 views)
Old 14th November 2010, 12:15 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

I don't know much about designing HPF's, but if you do it at line level (say between your AVR and amp), you will probably just be using some small resistors and capacitors.

The reckhorn B2 (50) and the behringer MIC 2200 (80) both have adjustable high pass filters that go down to around 10-12Hz, and give you a bit of Eq also.

Hide this!Advertise here!