I'm planning to biuld a sub

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My system lack some punch from below so I desided to build a sub myself(PA and carpentry included in hand.sys and brains.dll :) ) I'm looking forward to buying these drivers Visaton W 200 S 4 Ohm or W 250 S 4 Ohm
both of them are siuted for vented boxes, so I decided to biuld a bandpass sub. These drivers are siuted for vented box, simulation shows that they will normally perform in a bandpass as well.
The only problem I'm aware of is port noise... tuning this baby fairly low(17-20- - -50-60hz) means big vents, while bigger vent mean longer vents...
I dont expect much SPL, but I do want my furniture to shake :cool:

The Driver

Visaton W200S

Nominal power handling
75 Watt
Peak power handling
115 Watt
Nominal impedance
4 Ohm
Frequency response
fc - 5000 Hz
Mean sound pressure (nominal)
88 dB (1 W/1 m)
Maximum cone displacement
20 mm
Resonance frequency fs
30 Hz
Magnetic induction
1,1 Tesla
Magnetic flux
600 µ Weber
Height of front pole-plate
5 mm
Voice coil diameter
3,5 cm
Height of winding
1,2 cm
Cutout diameter
18,4 cm
Net weight
1,5 kg
D.C. resistance Rdc
3,7 Ohm
Mechanical Q factor Qms
Electrical Q factor Qes
Total Q factor Qts
Equivalent volume Vas
65 l
Effective piston area Sd
214 cm2
Dynamically moved mass Mms
28 g
Force factor Bxl
7,7 T · m
Inductance of the voice coil L
1,5 mH

Attachments

• driver-(w200s).jpg
    driver-(w200s).jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 958
the main ones are Fs ,Qts ,(Qes, Qms) Vas, Xmax, and Efficiency.

what is the purpose of the woofer-music or hometheatre?

www.linearteam.dk for winisd pro

ok i wasnt sure what exactly you want-but heres what i did in win isd. (for music)

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
35L 38hz tuned
3inch pipe 21.4cm long or 4inch pipe 40cm long.

Group delay only 15ms
you can tune lower if you want to,its just that its a small speaker so dont want to stress it for no reason.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

After braggin with designs and box volumes, best results are with vented box with active subsonic filter and 6 order parallel bandpass(Mr B##e's one ;) )
The Vented:
Box - 30l
Vent - 30Hz
Subsonic - 32Hz 12Db/Oct
Q ~ 1,93
vent ~ 10cm diam. ~70cm
vent air speed ~ 17m/s max
group delay 17msec max
-2,5db at 29hz
108db at 115W at 30hz

The Bandpass:
Box1 - 35l
Box2 - 12l

Vent1 - 32hz
8cm - 40cm - 14m/s max
Vent2 - 70hz
10cm - 25cm - 10m/s max

max group delay 20msec
-3,5db at 29hz
105db at 115w at 30hz

Bandpass vs Vented
BP pros - shorter vents, no subsonic filter needed, better control over cone movement
cons - bigger box, bit lower SPL, bit bigger group delay(no bumps tho)

VB pros - high SPL, smaller box, smaller group delay
cons - needs subs filter, big vent needed to prevent port noise

I'm looking forward bandpass - fitting 80 cm 10cm diam. tube into 30l box is not for me. I listen mainly to jazzy/deep house/dub music so "slow" bass isnt a big issue for me.

bandpass has worser sound,worser transient response

cons - needs subs filter, big vent needed to prevent port noise

any port will have to be big if your tuning 30hz in 30L!

i suggested my tuning,which is higher,to avoid long ports
;)

fitting 80 cm 10cm diam. tube into 30l box is not for me

it is for NO one because when you calculate the box volume,the port doesnt count,so you may have a 30L box+ 8Litre port.

so make a compromise-increase tuning frequency slightly,and slightly increase box size to make port shorter also,without changing response too much

I've made up my mind(after long time searchin the net :tired:) - I'm going for 6 order parallel bandpass, the points:

1) Simple vented box, even lower tuned (EBR), lags more - up to 30ms delay thats sure leads to "slow" bass :no:

2) bass response: -3db at 35hz siuts me just fine(I expect room gain somewhere near 35-40hz, stuff gets boomy there, tested by 2 subs and 6 ears)

3) keeping air speed in vents at max of 16ms/s (0,047(5%) speed of sound, though most sites recommend 5-10% ) ports are fairly short ~40cm and ~ 20cm - easily fitted into the box

4) group delay no bigger than 16ms(sealed boxes have max of 4-8ms, posted up to 50(thats poorly designed, BTW extended bass response vented enclosure has delay up to 40ms - thats a :no: ), most sites say that anything 10-20 ms is okay)

The graphs:

Attachments

• bandpass.gif
    bandpass.gif
    26.4 KB · Views: 815
I usually use 22mm MDF for my boxes, I would double the driver mount.

For the subsonic filter part, I would recommend that u use some kind of a subsonic filter to cut off the higher frequencies because they can make noise trough the port at higher frequencies. Just a simple filer should do the job.

Good luck building it!

I've nearly finished it!!!!!!!!
Hooray!!!!!

Construction pics coming in few days/hours (havent transfered teh pics from the digicam)

So, some facts/experience/tips:

It's built from 18mm MDF plate, box is approx. 95cm tall 30cm depth 43 wide. Ports are made from PVC pipes - 110mm outer dia. 105 inner, one aprox 89cm(around 30hz) and other aprox 23cm(around 66hz). Internal volumes are 30l and 16,5l. No damping is lined so far (it's assembled using screws, so I still need to seal it). No tuning done too.

The sound - 10W amp - 30hz - EASY I can almost feel it not just hear it, as no damping is lined in the box, it is still boomy and whistles a bit(not all holes are sealed). Transient responce is OK(not a closed box tho, but siuts my taste just fine). Needs a very good crossover (Linkwitz principle) because testing on classic RC+opamp 6-12db/oct makes delay/phase horrible - I can almost hear it as echo(main system makes a sound, and after clearly audible delay I can hear the sub)

Jigsaw is a very helpful tool but really suxx on making straight lines. If you use screws be sure to buy long ones - I was using 65mm ones(nearly 5cm into the MDF)

Thats all I can think at this hour

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.