Klipsch Horn Woofer designs....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
- a cute loud toy - which might turn out usable as a midbass - I'm hoping the leveling off in response works to advantage with 12pe32 which can give an upwards tilted response.

Baby Belle vs JBL M151 in LB76 (PWK's lil "B_stard - which looks interesting vented)

lDm8R6T.jpg

A few comments to the above.

1. The Jubilee does not require a corner, although the very deep bass will benefit from a corner (as will all cabinets).

2. The Speaker lab plans are not the best - there is more then one version, and some have errors.

3. The bandwidth with a K-33 is not maximized in the designs mentioned. The upper range is a function of the cabinet folding. IOW, the K-33 in a straight horn has greater bandwidth.

4. The Jubilee is an easier build then the K-Horn, since there are no double bevels. For folks like me, there are a surprising number of ways to mess up.

5. Have look at the graphs in the JAES article, before you build the Klipschorn. You will get a notion of the performance differences between it and the Jubilee. I have owned both, the Jubilee has several advantages. Incidentally, you can buy a factory version of the Jubilee and there might be someone in your locale that would let you listen to theirs ahead of time.
You have convinced me that I should build a Jubilee instead of a KHorn! Now where do I find Jubilee drawings? I found the KHorn and also a tweaked KHorn online. Would the Jubilee patent be over 20?

- a cute loud toy - which might turn out usable as a midbass - I'm hoping the leveling off in response works to advantage with 12pe32 which can give an upwards tilted response.

Baby Belle vs JBL M151 in LB76 (PWK's lil "B_stard - which looks interesting vented)
Hello Freddi,
How is the .83 Belle? Do you like it? How low / high you cross it?

There have been a couple of interesting threads here of late pertaining to conventional front loaded horns. I have been reading up on Klipsch speakers as I recently purchased a set of Klipsch speakers at a price which was too good to pass up. I was of the impression that the Klipsch horn woofers such as used in the Belle and the La Scalla were too small to really be taken seriously as modern high efficiency designs. However after reading I think that I was mistaken. While these cabinets do not extend much below 50 Hz. with out room gain though they are very compact and very efficient and would seem to have reasonable response.
I am curious to to know if any here have ever run either the Belle or the La Scalla cabinet design through Horn Response to see if Paul got it right the first time all those years ago? From what I can see they both represent a good compromise as a commercial product which has consistently stood the test of time in the market place. Both design are very similar with the Belle being a shallower cabinet with a wider mouth. Many owners consider the two versions to be pretty much the same in terms of performance. I have included a link to the AES paper which Paul Klipsch wrote many decades ago for reference. Thanks for any comments or thoughts. Best regards Moray James.

404 - File or directory not found.

I did a considerable amount of design work on a bettered LaScalla bass section. It became the bass section of the Volti Audio Vittora loudspeaker. It gets pretty favourable reviews.

What I can add in doing both a bunch of sims and looking at measurements, is that there is a total lack of actual bass and a boatload of low midrange. Mr. Klipsch was intelligent in his design decisions. The greatest amount of "bass" in music is centered in the Octave range between 64 and 128 hertz. And the designs are engineered to reproduce this range with great efficiency. About 105 db/watt against a wall. The corner loading story has a bit of actual effect on the Klipsch horn and almost nothing on the LaScalla. The path lengths ore to short to take advantage of the corner loading to reinforce the region below 60 hertz.

Given the math realities, there really is no domestic authentic horn loading below maybe 45 Hz. But then there's just a little music - including organ pedals - below 40 Hz; of course, many of us cherish those occasional passages.

Having lived with a Klipschorn (bass only) for 40 yrs, I can say nothing compares to it for filling a room with great gobs of rolling clean bass, and with a bit of EQ, all the clean bass you'd want to around 34 Hz in organ pedals. Even side drums, the biggest-lowest sound I know, close to excellent.

B.

Given the math realities, there really is no domestic authentic horn loading below maybe 45 Hz. But then there's just a little music - including organ pedals - below 40 Hz; of course, many of us cherish those occasional passages.

Having lived with a Klipschorn (bass only) for 40 yrs, I can say nothing compares to it for filling a room with great gobs of rolling clean bass, and with a bit of EQ, all the clean bass you'd want to around 34 Hz in organ pedals. Even side drums, the biggest-lowest sound I know, close to excellent.

B.

Not so sure about that. I have seen quite a few gents purchase and build the horn subwoofer design I have had for years. It's not small but solid to 14 hertz.

@ bentoronto: I heard a pair of Klipschorn's in the 70's and always wished I had them. A Ferrari too.
I thought that it had been a long time since they here designed so it would be morally OK to build Klipschorns.
When you mentioned Jubilees I realized it would be a better choice.
I realize that I would be better off buying some small bookshelf speakers for the size of house I live in, but I can't turn down such an excellent project!
I live in Toronto too.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.