Opinions on wall to wall subwoofer array

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Room Q

Dave from Planet 10 said, in part:

But if room gain rasies the system Q (in the room) to above 1, that isn't very good. With that many drivers in such a small room they become a VERY significant part of the "box".
---------------------------------------------
Wow, this is a really fascinating point. Can you describe some factors in the interaction here?

Perhaps you can suggest where I can learn more about room q and how it would apply?

Great Stuff!

James

where are you planning to xover to the subs?

And what types of slopes??

the higher the crossover point and the more shallow the slope I would think that the more likely you are to have a problem getting good convergence with them horizontally.

It seems that excellent integration with the subs is frequently difficult to achieve.

I guess that my problem with the horizontal array is that to me they _seem right_ if they're vertical on the sides.

Since we're talking scientifically _big grin_.

You've already said you're going to build them so they can go either way, so I guess it doesn't really matter that much.

But I _really_ want to know how they work out best. Please send me an e-mail when you're done if I don't seem to be around when you make a final post on it.

Boy, threads move down very, very quickly - so quick that if you're gone a short time, they've disappeared.

Later

Ken L

Re: An alternative

jmiyake said:
jackinnj said:
why not just buy an Aeolian Skinner pipe organ?
----------------------------------------------
As an alternative to your suggestion, my current plan is to build a subwoofer array and then play some of these.

World's Largest Organs

I bookmarked the page ! I have heard the Wanamaker Organ, the organ at Annapolis and the wonderful organ at ST. Bavoskirche in Haarlem. Here in the NY area there was a show on Sunday evenings, I believe it was called "The King of Instruments" -- auditioning organs from all over the world -- unfortunately it is no more -- not even on the Minnesota Public Radio streaming site, nor is it on the WNYE site where it had been carried for years.

Re: Re: An alternative

I have a recording of the Wanamaker organ made in 2001 with its current organist, Richard Peter Conte. Its an amazing CD. Recorded using fiber optic cable and dozens of microphones around the atrium, this CD reproduces all low frequency sound produced by the Organ, nothing was rolled off!

Selections include Night on the Bare Mountain, and Nimrod from Variations. This recording is the last made and is the most complete sound yet of the organ following the recent restorations. (Several Divisions need to be restored) As a note, the string division alone for this organ is composed of 6992 pipes...And the organ uses over 160hp to power the blowers. Anyway...

Buy this CD. entitled Magic - Peter Richard Conte at the Wanamaker Grand Court Organ.

This will test any systems low frequency response.

jackinnj said:

I bookmarked the page ! I have heard the Wanamaker Organ, the organ at Annapolis and the wonderful organ at ST. Bavoskirche in Haarlem. Here in the NY area there was a show on Sunday evenings, I believe it was called "The King of Instruments" -- auditioning organs from all over the world -- unfortunately it is no more -- not even on the Minnesota Public Radio streaming site, nor is it on the WNYE site where it had been carried for years.

While not quite wall to wall, I am currently doing an installation with 4 12" woofers per channel, all horizontal. The enclosures are actually a stage upon which the mr/hf speakers will sit.

The difference with this installation is that the bottom of the enclosure is actually the floor of the room. The flooring has been removed between the joists so the the rear wave is vented to the crawl space - essentially a real infinite baffle.

Fs will be 24Hz and Qts will be .35. It's easy to bring the Q and low frequency response up with a little bass boost but given the room gain this may not be necessary.

If this thread is still going, I'll report the auditory results.

James, IMO your plan is fine. I have always liked multiple drivers to keep distortion very low. You'll wind up with "effortless" bass. I currently am running 2 Tempests and will shortly build my 4 AV-12s into a single box. Sealed is the way to go, too. Should be very musical and should knock you off the couch during movies.:)

If the room creates enough problems, you can always pick up a BFD to tame the "lumps". ;)

Pete

Center under construction

The prototype center experiment in my photo.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Works fair, but there is some lobing, and of course the drivers are not matched.
The actual center will be a shorty, array, and it is close to being finished. Here is the current state.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Unfortunately I have been working long hours. So it has been siting like this for the last 2 weeks.

I'll update you when I get them done.

James

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.