Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

THAM15 - a compact 15" tapped horn
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th May 2017, 10:35 PM   #421
treukauf is offline treukauf
diyAudio Member

Hey guys call me Dr. Frankenstein for bringing this back to life, but I just read all 42 pages on this Tham 15. Awesome Job Martinsson! I have already built Art's amazing Keystone sub and now need a sub for the old boat. This design seems to fit the bill as its compact and performs. I love reading on this forum its very humbling to sit in the peanut gallery and listen to you audiophile mad scientists work things out (coming from a lowly mechanical engineer who has a love affair with Solidworks and FEA as well).

Anywho nuff brown nosing. This sub is going in the back corner of the ole boat. I have a Kicker CX1200.1 (600watts rms at 4ohms). As you know I am power limited on a boat. I also am a full on bass head sorry its a real condition. Here are my questions:

1. Is there a consensus on the reflectors... I mean real world testing results Mk 1, 2, 3, 4. from Martinssons blog it looks like no reflectors is the way to go overall. Martinsson's Blog - Showdown in Stenungsund (THAM 15 & MKII proposal)

2. I hate being the "what about my driver guy", but I'm chained to an alternator so to speak. The CX1200.1 is capable of 1200watts rms at 2ohms. I plan on buying the recomended B&C B&C 15TBX100 15 4ohm sub. I like to follow builds with real world results. That and my B&C 18SW115 18 is indestructibleish! Are there any 2ohm 15" subwoofers that you would recommend instead to save some load on the electrical system? Or for that matter is there a reason to pick a different subwoofer like the dayton Pa385 s (I'm going for maximum spl and dont care if its a $400 driver). I just worked the entire month of May, everyday at a refinery turnaround and need retail therapy.

3. Do any of the solidworks people still follow this page and have a cut sheet or would send me their model? Otherwise I will try to give back and model this whole thing and create a cut sheet to share. It would be great if this forum had a "library". Art did a good job of summarizing all 150pages on the first page. It crossed my mind wedging another Keystone in the back corner of the 19 foot bayliner haha.

4. As for filters it looks like 36hz 24db oct and 140hz. Anyone who has built one of these want to chime in on any other tips or warnings?

5. I listen to low crestfactor EDM mostly, has anyone pushed this sub using 1000 watts rms yet? I'm assuming you would need to adjust the lpf to avoid excursion issues. If not I will push it till it breaks and let you know.

Thanks for the help. I love math, but deal with the gap between simulation and the real world every day.
Old 28th May 2017, 09:18 AM   #422
USRFobiwan is offline USRFobiwan
Horn Addict
diyAudio Member

the than will never reach 35hz. 40hz +/- is max. 140hz is possible but sounds hollow in that frequency range, and got bit of dip, possible the large dip can be modified somewhat with cone compensation or little bit of stuffing g at the start of horn. as with all designs put driver specs in hornresp to see if it suitable for tham. so you don't need to push it till breaks and Sim the maximum the driver can handle in tham. you need a really good driver to push it 1000w.

Last edited by USRFobiwan; 28th May 2017 at 09:21 AM.
Old 1st June 2017, 02:32 PM   #423
treukauf is offline treukauf
diyAudio Member

I did this late at night after work as fast as I could so its not great, but it conveys the design and shows both Metric and Imperial units. I also did a fractions drawing for us Americans haha. Its unchecked and I will build from it this weekend and let you know if there are any issues. It includes dual units for checking against Martinssons design and a cut sheet. I will let you know how the 15TBX100 15 4ohm sub build turns out.

I will add the pdf's later but here is the link to the google drive:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7...0lqajd4WmR4bUU
Old 2nd June 2017, 05:33 AM   #424
Horn Addict
diyAudio Member

Is this based on MK1 MK2 or MK3 design?
Old 28th December 2017, 09:15 PM   #425
huntersingleton is offline huntersingleton
diyAudio Member

Look for some help. I'm trying to buy drivers for 2 tham 15's on a budget.

-18sound 15lw2400 $370 for the pair (used)
-18sound 15LW1401 $340 for the pair (used)
-The box 15lb100 $290 for the pair

Obviously the 18sound drivers are higher quality and an take more power, but these drivers sim damn near identical in hornresp (hard to even see the grey vs black line). Are there 'real world' qualities the 18sound drivers have over the cheap thomann drivers (ie sound quality/clarity?) Is it worth the extra $30 for the 15lw2400s' extra power (2400 watts program vs 1400 watts program) if the drivers will never be able to take more than 1000 watts anyway because of the box design?

Based on simulation alone I'd say to go with the cheapest option, but I'm sure theres more to it?

Thanks!
Old 28th December 2017, 10:38 PM   #426
Xoc1 is offline Xoc1  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

The 18 sound 15lw2400 has an xmax of 10mm and low thermal compression
The Thomann 15 has an xmax of about 5.5mm
So the 18 sound will shift nearly double the air with low distortion.
The 18 sound will also do 38mm max peak to peak excursion so will handle transients that would kill the Thomann - which is probably made by Elder Audio in China
The Theomann is quite a respectable budget driver - But it is a budget driver!
Old 2nd January 2018, 05:45 PM   #427
nikmartin is offline nikmartin
diyAudio Member

Default Optimized cut list

I'm lazy and have not read every single message in this thread, but here's an optimized cut list for the original MK1 THAM 15. It's super easy: you make the two long vertical cuts left to right, then the horizontal cuts are top to bottom. Note that that braces are all square as this cut list is made for a panel saw, not a router. Once you've made the square cuts it'll be up to you to then make the angled cuts. Thes cuta allow for a 1/8" kerf, but you should have plenty of waste at the end of each piece for a thicker carbide rip blade etc.
Attached Images
File Type: png CutList1.png (72.4 KB, 394 views)
Old 3rd January 2018, 06:52 AM   #428
MemX is offline MemX  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikmartin View Post
I'm lazy and have not read every single message in this thread, but here's an optimized cut list for the original MK1 THAM 15. It's super easy: you make the two long vertical cuts left to right, then the horizontal cuts are top to bottom. Note that that braces are all square as this cut list is made for a panel saw, not a router. Once you've made the square cuts it'll be up to you to then make the angled cuts. Thes cuta allow for a 1/8" kerf, but you should have plenty of waste at the end of each piece for a thicker carbide rip blade etc.
Nice! Thank you
Old 24th January 2018, 07:59 AM   #429
Mrscy is offline Mrscy
diyAudio Member

Hi All, whats best way to build a dual THAM15(2 tham15 merged into 1 cabinet) Must the mouths be close together or at the ends? What are the implications of both layouts?

Regards,
Old 24th January 2018, 08:25 AM   #430
Horn Addict
diyAudio Member

You can share one side to both drivers s1 path. Mouths should be close together.

like this:
dual-tham15.jpg

THAM15 - a compact 15" tapped hornHide this!Advertise here!