THAM15 - a compact 15" tapped horn - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th October 2010, 06:32 AM   #11
soho54 is offline soho54  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoc1 View Post
The method I am using to get the horn length is based on the method that was developed in the TH spreadsheet thread. ---
Using AkAbak sounds good, but I am still strugling with geting a TH model to work in AkAbak. I would like to learn more about getting AkAbak to work with a TH sim.
I am determined to build my own TH horns one day.......
I've chopped up so many horns like that it isn't funny.

In the TH spreadsheet thread you will find my AkAbak script for his original pass. The only really tricky part is remembering to put the reverse flares in right. The trick is to put them all in as normal, and then try to sim a graph. It will halt on every one that needs to be flipped around, and you can change them then. If you try to do it right from the beginning, around the 15 section into it, it will start to mess with your head.

I don't know if you have seen it, but a have an AkAbak tutorial/help thread over at AVS. If you have any question fire them away over there.
AkAbak for Dummies - AVS Forum
Old 28th October 2010, 07:31 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

i guess this design is more suited for hifi... would be really nice to have 2 of these th's with some high efficient monitors stacked on top. metal wouldnt sound any better...

these monitors would kick some serious tail with those th's...

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by nephylum; 28th October 2010 at 07:37 AM.
Old 28th October 2010, 02:06 PM   #13
jbell is offline jbell  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinsson View Post
Thanks alot for the help, really, to all of you !

In Rademakers & Xoc1's excellent descriptions we see partly where the "missing" volumes are located (bend contributions) and even better, here we can easily see the distances between them and perhaps try to match those to potential resonaces/cancellations in the frequency responce, although i'm no longer shure where they occour and how significant they really are.

I'm also thinking that the approximation done by honrresp due to the odd shape of the expansion is a contributor to the "errors" we see.

Big thanks, now i understand my own design alot better (I've allways thought there was an element of luck involved in my designprocess somewhere

The 135.1 dimension should perhaps be reviewed, in light of your findings Xoc1, my thinking was to get as much L23 as possible and keep to the expansion up tp that point, but maybe there is a improvment possibillity here, thanks for telling us your thoughts.

This brings back an "issue" initially mentioned by Mr Cowan when he built his pair, would adding reflectors be of any grater benifit to this design ?

+ more even expansion (as shown above, less bumps on the way)
- less bend filter effect, may increase upper range resonances

What are your thoughts ?

sidenote:
I'm a CATA V4/V5 nerd myself (automotive comcept engineer), wich is not far from solidworks wich is a really nice software, i only wich i had CATA V5 at home, but it's rather expensive...
My experience in the many different designs I've built -- is that most reflectors are a net minus in the spl department. The exception to that is when you have a design with many parallel surfaces, then some reflectors are useful. In the tham15 design, I'd put a very shallow (15 degree or so) reflector in the bottom back, and a 45 in the upper back -- nothing else. I played with reflectors quite a bit on this design jbell's set of four tapped horns which has kind the same shape as the tham15. Part of the reason I really like the singlesheet design that I'm currently building, is that I don't have to add reflectors to break up parallel wall reflections in the horn path.

If you want to play, use 3/8" door/window foam sealer from your panels to the 2nd side. It'll give you a nice tight seal with no glue and you can use screws only. This lets you add a reflector, close it up, test, open, repeat.

Good luck.
Old 9th November 2010, 06:59 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Thanks jbell, the MKII proposal will ramin a thought on paper for the time being, if i had the time and money i would spring for a build and make some serious comparisons, but since i just recently moved to an apartment I'm a bit lacking in the tools and facilities department

Since going public with the design i get alot of e-mails from all corners of the world, many of them are "thank you" related which is great, but there is also quite a significant amount of questions regarding 12" och 18" versions combined with "can i use this driver" type questions.

It has now unfortunatly come to a ponit where I'm not able to answer all of the mail i recieve in what can be considered a fair amount of time, please understand that it is not out of ignorance, I'm happy that the design has got alot of attention and happy users and I really do want to help you all.

Most of the "what driver" questions relate to the fact the fact the B&C15TBX100 is a rather expensive piece of equipment, in retrospect maybe i should have chosen a different driver as baseline.
Old 20th January 2011, 06:36 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

This is the MKII :

Click the image to open in full size.

The 180Hz dip is now approx. 10dB less deep, but still present, plots, conclusions and general impressions in comparison with the original will be posted on my blog within short.
Old 20th January 2011, 04:22 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Looks nice, Glad to see you are making saw dust again! Cant wait for the resolts. Andy
Old 20th January 2011, 07:57 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Yeah it does! Excellent work!
Old 20th January 2011, 08:57 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Most of the "what driver" questions relate to the fact the fact the B&C15TBX100 is a rather expensive piece of equipment, in retrospect maybe i should have chosen a different driver as baseline.
What driver are you planning for this? I may be able to send you one for testing. Andy
Old 20th January 2011, 10:03 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Hi Anders,

I like your THAM15, but I'm too cheap to by the driver. Substituting the Eminence 3015LF didn't sim well, so I decided to modify your box.
The resultant HornRes simulation yeilds a TH that's louder than the THAM15, but not as low ... and lower than the SS15, but not as loud. Another example of "there's no free lunch".

For the curious, I'm including a pic and a HornRes input screen. If anybody needs a DWG or DFM, just PM me, I don't want to bother documenting it.
Attached Images
File Type: gif D&A.gif (5.6 KB, 1384 views)
File Type: gif D&Ahr.gif (91.2 KB, 1373 views)

Last edited by Don Snyder; 20th January 2011 at 10:09 PM.
Old 20th January 2011, 10:07 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Don; You did this for the Eminence 3015LF? Thats the speaker I have and am vary interested. Andy

Hide this!Advertise here!