would these be ok in a tapped horn or folded, any ideas, i got two the price is good

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Peerless 830586 8" SLS Shielded Woofer

Was: $35.00 EA
Save 31%
Special Price: $24.00 EA (1-3)
$21.68 EA (4+)

Sku 299-246: In Stock

Perfect woofer for equalized sealed box designs. Stamped steel frame with generous ventilation and minimal airflow restriction. 1-1/2" two-layer copper voice coil with 1" winding. Shielded magnet, 4 ohm impedance. Buyout, limited quantities. Specifications: *Power handling: 125 watts RMS/250 watts max *VCdia: 1-1/2" *Le: 0.97 mH *Impedance: 4 ohms *Re: 3.4 ohms *Frequency response: 45-2,000 Hz *Fs: 45 Hz *SPL: 85 dB 1W/1m *Vas: 0.72 cu. ft. *Qms: 6.19 *Qes: 0.96 *Qts: 0.83 *Xmax: 8 mm *Dimensions: A: 8-3/16", B: 7", C: 4-1/4".
Premium sculpted stamped steel chassis
Vented pole piece and under-spider venting
Treated long-fiber paper cone with rubber edge
Oversized felt dust cap
2-layer front gasket
Bumped backplate permits maximum linear excursion
Magnetically shielded

Peerless 830586 8" SLS Shielded Woofer

Was: $35.00 EA
Save 31%
Special Price: $24.00 EA (1-3)
$21.68 EA (4+)

Sku 299-246: In Stock

Perfect woofer for equalized sealed box designs. Stamped steel frame with generous ventilation and minimal airflow restriction. 1-1/2" two-layer copper voice coil with 1" winding. Shielded magnet, 4 ohm impedance. Buyout, limited quantities. Specifications: *Power handling: 125 watts RMS/250 watts max *VCdia: 1-1/2" *Le: 0.97 mH *Impedance: 4 ohms *Re: 3.4 ohms *Frequency response: 45-2,000 Hz *Fs: 45 Hz *SPL: 85 dB 1W/1m *Vas: 0.72 cu. ft. *Qms: 6.19 *Qes: 0.96 *Qts: 0.83 *Xmax: 8 mm *Dimensions: A: 8-3/16", B: 7", C: 4-1/4".
Premium sculpted stamped steel chassis
Vented pole piece and under-spider venting
Treated long-fiber paper cone with rubber edge
Oversized felt dust cap
2-layer front gasket
Bumped backplate permits maximum linear excursion
Magnetically shielded

FYI, A TL simulation:

b:)

Attachments

• Peerless830586-aperiodic TL.JPG
    Peerless830586-aperiodic TL.JPG
    571.6 KB · Views: 342
I thought the bucking magnet *decreased* the BL slightly, and that you get in increase in the field when you dispense with it. But certainly not by enough to make a speaker more horn-friendly....

IME, adding a magnet either did nothing or slightly lowered Qes, ergo taking it off may increase it, but I agree that it probably won't be enough to audibly affect the design. That said, there was a small Audax that could be had either way and the shielding dropped it almost 20% IIRC, but I've never seen anywhere this much on the 8"-up drivers I've messed with and finally settled for using cold rolled steel (CRS) sheet in the cab to shield larger, more powerful drivers.

GM

Well, we'll find out soon enough. I will measure a driver, then knock off the bucking magnet and remeasure. If they're not useful without the magnet, I'll send them out to live on the shelf of useless woofers I have out in the shop....

Might be a few more days though - I'm plenty busy with other projects.

Well, we'll find out soon enough. I will measure a driver, then knock off the bucking magnet and remeasure. If they're not useful without the magnet, I'll send them out to live on the shelf of useless woofers I have out in the shop....

Might be a few more days though - I'm plenty busy with other projects.

I thought I was the only one with a speaker addiction....

My name is littlemike, and it's been 3 days since my last speaker purchase....

HI MIKE !!

I thought I was the only one with a speaker addiction....

My name is littlemike, and it's been 3 days since my last speaker purchase....

HI MIKE !!

Hi Jim.

It hasn't been three days..... :D

There are more boxes coming too - but that is another project.

PA-style tapped horn bass on the cheap - if it all works out. In simulation-land with fairy-tale parameters, I get >100 dB with a watt from 30 Hz to >120 Hz from a pair of $20 12" drivers, and the model says the drivers reach excursion limits at just about the same time as thermal limits.

Downsides? It is a BIG enclosure for a pair of 12s, and it all hinges on manufacturer parameters currently - I'll get actual driver measurements soon (probably Tuesday). I'll measure the M&K's at the same time.

Turns out that the specs were reasonably close to the listed ones. The driver is a Parts Express buyout, item number 299-246, which is a Miller & Kreisel badged Peerless 830586 8" SLS Shielded Woofer.

They'll work well enough in a tapped horn - with or without the magnet. They don't take a lot of power before excursion gets silly when asked to play low, and the cabinet gets pretty big. I've got other stuff to do, so I will not be playing with them any time soon.

I wonder how these compare to the other MCM 8" that everybody seem to use as a cheap option for building front loaded and tapped horns - as far as being used in a horn is concerned. I heard these SLSs are great in car doors though, if you can fit one...

Completely different drivers - the MCM has more motor and a much lower Fs than the SLS. The SLS is a great IB driver, and will likely wind up in the doors of my truck

Completely different drivers - the MCM has more motor and a much lower Fs than the SLS. The SLS is a great IB driver, and will likely wind up in the doors of my truck

Yeah I hear you, the MCM does have much more motor and xmax, but thats the thing, I always thought high FS drivers are better suited for horn loading, yet everybody on a budget seems to base their bass horns on the MCM. I think I have read somewhere that FS should be about a little less than double the freq you want the horn to be tuned at?

Anyway, right now the dayton 8" on half price looks much more interesting to play with :

Dayton SD215-88 8" Shielded DVC Subwoofer | Parts-Express.com

:p

Yeah I hear you, the MCM does have much more motor and xmax, but thats the thing, I always thought high FS drivers are better suited for horn loading, yet everybody on a budget seems to base their bass horns on the MCM. I think I have read somewhere that FS should be about a little less than double the freq you want the horn to be tuned at?

Anyway, right now the dayton 8" on half price looks much more interesting to play with :

i cant believe you recommenced that dayton driver... seriously

Look at the frame on that driver - those will be really hard to front-mount.

May or may not be an issue, but worth knowing ahead of time.

@90210

To each their own, not everyone needs 140 dB from their subs, and sometimes a $15 driver is just right for the application. It is a lot easier to learn and experiment when the cost of the driver leaves a bit of change from a $20.

your not alone,

me and loud speakers have a serious obscene relationship, and my stuff is overwelming my garage, and house. but my small home theater is pretty bad ***. And i dont even have to use the dual 18 cabs in the garage , lol. peace. just too much fun. gotta strap the house to the foundation soon.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.