Powered Subwoofer with high-pass crossover?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was looking for a powered subwoofer to complement my studio monitors. All of the subs I've looked at so far have built in low-pass crossovers, which is to be expected. But I'd like to find one that also has output jacks with a high pass crossover built in.

Idealy, I'd like to run the source signal to my subwoofer, and then out of my subwoofer to my studio monitors. But I want to cross out the low frequencies from the monitors.

Does a powered subwoofer like this exist, or do I have no choice but to buy a separate crossover box?

They must exist as I've designed several, for a fairly well-known loudspeaker manufacturer. But this was a number of years ago - its possible that the latest models don't have high-pass XOs. If you're concerned about sound quality I wouldn't recommend using the high pass XOs of powered subs, I'd use a dedicated external one. There's also considerable advantage in being able to vary the turnover of this according to the characteristics of the monitors you're using.

Many plates amps have that. It's usually just a single cap though and most often you must use the speaker level input to use the high pass.

I couldn't use caps as the studio monitors are powered speakers themselves--no speaker level inputs.

They must exist as I've designed several, for a fairly well-known loudspeaker manufacturer. But this was a number of years ago - its possible that the latest models don't have high-pass XOs. If you're concerned about sound quality I wouldn't recommend using the high pass XOs of powered subs, I'd use a dedicated external one. There's also considerable advantage in being able to vary the turnover of this according to the characteristics of the monitors you're using.

I may end up going with a separate crossover. It's just more wires, though...trying to avoid that. If you know of any specific brands/model numbers of powered subs with high pass xovers, let me know. Thanks.

Most good Subwoofers has it incorporated. you wont easily find , subwoofers with output-jacks such that you can get output of filter network. The reason seems that, every enclosure is tuned to get best and linear output from your woofer driver. But in most of the cases the frequency response is not low enough. To compensate this Highpass is designed with some gain at low frequency. This helps in extending frequency response in lower end. Now if this output is provided to you, it wont be linear and might not suite your woofer and enclosure needs.

OP means to pick the signal after being buffered and send it to a high-pass
filter , and sending the only buffered signal to the subwoofer unit , which probably has 2 stereo inputs . So also the high-passed signal would have to pass through a buffer stage ,to be well made . This can be achieved also by simply feeding with the signal a simple CR or CRC net ,making an easy highpass for the sats.:eek::p;):D

Separate c/o

I was looking for a powered subwoofer to complement my studio monitors. All of the subs I've looked at so far have built in low-pass crossovers, which is to be expected. But I'd like to find one that also has output jacks with a high pass crossover built in.

Idealy, I'd like to run the source signal to my subwoofer, and then out of my subwoofer to my studio monitors. But I want to cross out the low frequencies from the monitors.

Does a powered subwoofer like this exist, or do I have no choice but to buy a separate crossover box?

Do not use this criteria for choosing a sub. IMO, those with servo control [1] (SCS) are superior performers and have a small footprint as well. To drive your existing amplifiers and satellite loudspeakers, a separate electronic crossover is recommended. Alternatively, you can feed, two easy to build HP filters, from the right and left line-out's of a single or dual sub's if you like.

[1] Some SCS Examples:

Velodyne (Currently Using a Vintage Pair of HGS-18's)
Velodyne

Rythmik (Great Value for DIY)
Rythmik Audio • Servo subwoofer products

Regards,

WHG

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.