Driver params for max. efficiency in a sealed box - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th September 2010, 08:37 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Driver params for max. efficiency in a sealed box

Hello

A theoretical question which I'd like to get an exact answer for. This is for a project, but I ask that practical questions would come later, after the theoretical side is solved.

We assume I have a sealed box of fixed size, say one cubic feet. I also have 10 Watts of amplifier power. I want to have as much output at 20Hz or 30Hz as possible. Question is, what parameters should I look for in a driver?

Quick, tentative answer. Having toyed with one of Linkwitz's spreadsheets, I have come to think that within reasonable limits, nothing else matters except force factor (BL). In simulations, the Shiva X2 does better than most, given its high BL (15.3) with coils in series.

I know that practically, everything I need, is to see that my chosen driver will reach its excursion limits at low frequencies, given the amplifier power I have. Theoretically one can buy very much very cheap wattage using readily available PA power amplifiers. But if I want to get along with an amplifier I already have, and avoid problems with power compression, this viewpoint might have some use.
Old 26th September 2010, 10:17 AM   #2
wjlamp is offline wjlamp  Greece
diyAudio Member

As much as possible,says nothing.The "as much" could be anything from 0.00001 acoustic watts.
There are so many factors to be computed into the equation,that a box-driver compo should have,in order to function as you want,with your 10W amplifier,that is non wise to try to single out one,in your case BL.
Your question is a little tricky.

B.L (not the force factor)
Old 26th September 2010, 11:39 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi
Give a read to that:
http://documents.jordan-usa.com/Famo...I-Analysis.pdf
fig.8 and fig.11 charts will give you a rough idea of what can you expect, from a 10W amplifier at 20Hz f3 , from your already fixed box volume..

Last edited by Mosquito; 26th September 2010 at 11:59 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!