Dual CSS SDX10 Sub Construction - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd September 2010, 10:59 AM   #1
Westy37 is offline Westy37  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Dual CSS SDX10 Sub Construction

Hi peoples, as the title suggests I've got a pair of CSS SDX10 subs and I'm looking to build vented enclosures for them. Building the boxes is not an issue but working out They will crossed over at about 150hz to a pair of Zaph's Hi-Vi B3S 3" fullrange drivers using an active crossover (make/model yet to be decided).

I plan on basically replicating the build outlined below. It seems to model well and is about the maximum box size I can use (68 litres / 2.4 cubic feet) tuned to 21hz.

Another 10" CSS build - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

However I've got a few questions to start off:

When calculating box sizes do I need to account for the volume that the driver displaces? I know bracing needs to be accounted for but what is the deal with drivers? Also where am I likely to get this info, can't seem to find it anywhere.

Due to size/location restraints these boxes need to be cube shaped which gives internal dimensions of *roughly* 41cm. The required port length is 74cm. Obviously this isn't going to fit in a straight line. i plan on using pvc plumbing pipe for the port. Is there any way I can change the diameter of the port to reduce the required length? Or should I just use a 90 degree bend in the pipe to fit it in the box?

Lastly I'm under the impression that flanged port ends are ideal as they reduce whistling and other such noises as air moves out the port. I figure I can use a roundover bit on my router to make such flanges but I'm not sure what impact they have on the required port length. Can anyone explain.

Thanks for putting up with me, I'd really appreciate any thoughts and replies . When I get to building these babies I'll start getting some photos up.
Old 3rd September 2010, 01:41 PM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Yes, the volume of the driver & the port need to be accounted for.

Shortly i'll be drawing up a box for my SDX10s -- i'll be approximating the volume the driver takes up, with something like the SDX7, a cylinder the diameter of the magnet assembly and as deep as the driver is a pretty close approximation. Mine will be sealed so won't be nearly as critical volume wise.

dave
Old 4th September 2010, 12:58 PM   #3
CSS/XBL is offline CSS/XBL  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westy37 View Post
Due to size/location restraints these boxes need to be cube shaped which gives internal dimensions of *roughly* 41cm. The required port length is 74cm. Obviously this isn't going to fit in a straight line. i plan on using pvc plumbing pipe for the port. Is there any way I can change the diameter of the port to reduce the required length? Or should I just use a 90 degree bend in the pipe to fit it in the box?
Hi,

Have you considered a slot port? Perhaps you could post a question on the HTS CSS forum and get some input on the design.

Bob
Old 4th September 2010, 07:56 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Rullknufs
This thread is interesting actually.
I'm planning on building a 45-50l box which will hold some cheap subs to begin with but later on when i get more money i will swap them out for some CSS SDX10's i think.
What's best, bigger box (like 60-70l) or smaller box (45-50l)?
For music only, no movies.
Old 4th September 2010, 10:38 PM   #5
Mikey p is offline Mikey p  Canada
diyAudio Member

Music only would be 50 liters tuned to 25 hz.
Old 5th September 2010, 03:24 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Rullknufs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey p View Post
Music only would be 50 liters tuned to 25 hz.
Okay, thanks
Old 6th September 2010, 07:01 AM   #7
Westy37 is offline Westy37  Australia
diyAudio Member

Ok so I've done a whole bunch more reading which has left me with no better idea of what I want to do.

As a nearfield system for 100% music is a ported or sealed enclosure likely to be better?
Old 6th September 2010, 02:07 PM   #8
Mark Kravchenko --- www.kravchenko-audio.com
diyAudio Member

Mike has posted a whole lot of fundamental information on most of the questions anyone would want to ask in the CSS forum on Hometheatershack. I add in two cents from time to time. But there is a whack load of great designs there.

Creative Sound Solutions at Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Mark

Hide this!Advertise here!