Honeycomb composite panel enclosure, dual opposed configuration

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anyone tried building a subwoofer from honeycomb panels? They would be very light, yet have high stiffness. Not sure about the damping characteristics of the panels vs plywood though.

Basically beam bending theory, kind of like an I beam, the material far away from the middle is doing all the work, so the honeycomb core with the composite panels.

The resultant enclosure would be very light, so will likely have to use dual opposed configuration to cancel out vibrations .

Any thought and comments?

honeycomb composite panels - Google Search

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
But a thicker wall would increase the mass.

I think this would be an interesting project. With push-push woofers, little energy gets into the box, i'd look at the opposing baffles, and push-push drivers as a subassembly, with the light weight composite panels as a "cover" for the 4 open sides. Feet could be loaded into the baffle bits.

dave

Honeycomb panels can work if you glue lots of panel bracing in (intersections of about 4 to 5 inches) and you could use a few plastic tubes (fill them with fibre) for wall to wall bracing (use strong 2 component glue for that) . After you’re finished you could ‘paint’ the inside with a thick layer of liquid rubber. Or do it the old fashion way by melting a layer of roof felt (or clean pitch) in each intersection. If you want to keep weight to minimum spray glue on the inside with ‘felt flakes’ (correct English word?) on top. That’s the same technique the use for panels in cars but is a little less efficient in damping. Of course all these measures will increase mass but it is still light.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.