subwoofer chip amplifier needed - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th August 2010, 01:01 AM   #1
srinath is offline srinath  United States
diyAudio Member

Default subwoofer chip amplifier needed

Hi,
I am about to trade away my velodyne home sub. Now not all is lost, I have a monster of a 24 inch pyle sub. Problem though, its not powered.
So a nice 2-300 watt sub with adjustable cross over and volume would be perfect. is there a good design that would do that and where can I find/buy it. Some chip based ebay item I am hoping that wont break the bank.
Thanks.
Srinath.
Old 19th August 2010, 01:24 AM   #2
Apex Jr is online now Apex Jr  United States
diyAudio Member

How bout a complete plate amp

M&K new surplus 250W for $139.95

MnK Amp

has an adj crossover and a setting to shut it off too.
also a headroom maximizer.

Steve @ Apex Jr.
Old 19th August 2010, 02:42 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

272 watt into 4 ohm ? whoaaaaa ... OK I better get serious about trading off my velo ... now the 24 inch pyle I got ... I better check what its impedance is.
Now tell me something, can it run 2 woofers - it has left and right inputs, is that then wired for 2 woofers ? maybe I can make a 15 pair angle them 90 degrees to each other and run 15 inch mach 1 replica woofers which I can get in 4 ohm.

OTOH ... If I am running the pyle, I would prefer somehting smaller in size and a complete cabinet, cos I wont be putting it in the pyle cabinet, it would be separate cos I dont want to touch that cabinet, it looks like its built to stand a bomb.

Cool.
Srinath.
Old 19th August 2010, 05:25 AM   #4
Apex Jr is online now Apex Jr  United States
diyAudio Member

I have sold these for push/pull M&K amps and they work fine...

Only thing is the size and to check if it will fit in your opening.

Steve
Old 19th August 2010, 10:04 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

That looks like a very sweet plate amp with many features. But worthwhile to get the multi-featured electronic crossover, Behringer CX3400, around $180. It has many important features, not least of which is 24dB/octave crossovers for both sub and the speaker above that. Important to relieve the mid-range of the low notes.
Old 19th August 2010, 03:12 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Chip amps and subs don't go together. They are simple amps that are designed to be used gently, making them unsuitable for subs which quickly eat up the power. Not so bad for an efficient driver but even then I wouldn't do it.

The M&K is a novel option and here a plate amp solution is probably the most attractive option. You could also consider an O Audio plate amp - in my view very good value for money and well thoughts out in their filtering options. Also keep in mind that the 500w version (while you may not need the power) has choices with the high pass so it's a bit more flexible.

Here is a discussion about some of the issues to consider with a sub amp:
Red Spade Audio: Sub amp options

Yep, that's from my blog.
Old 19th August 2010, 09:25 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Ok what about getting a mono 200-300 watt car amp running it off a PC power supply. of course my speaker is that pyle pro 24 I already got.
Cool.
Srinath.
Old 20th August 2010, 04:11 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

You could do it if the PC supply will provide what is needed, but you need a crossover as well. It could easily cost as much as simply getting a plate amp. I don't see the advantage unless you already have the parts and just want to try it out.
Old 20th August 2010, 03:05 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

PC Power supplies are $5 @ the local GW computer parts depot. Do they have 300 watt capacity ? I suspect so. They also have multiple output taps. May run 2-3 in parallel for 12v and more amperage. Will that work, or go kaboom ?

2-300 watt mono car amps are routinely sold very very cheap. I see all the time @ flea markets. 5-10 for it is my guess.

Cross over - why. My HT amp has a cut over freq that can be adjusted. I've had to synch it with the velodyne as it stands. I think it splits it with the center. Like under 100 to the sub and over 100 to the center. I think. It is adjustable too, I think up to 250 it can be adjusted.

Cool.
Srinath.
Old 20th August 2010, 03:22 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

that mnk amp at $135 really is value for money!

i have built a 300W amplifier using 6 lm3886 chips. But if you add up the costs it comse to much more than $135 , plus a lot of mission.

get the plate amp.

will be much better than a car amplifier that claims to be able to handle 700W but can really only do 100W.

Hide this!Advertise here!