subwoofer chip amplifier needed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I am about to trade away my velodyne home sub. Now not all is lost, I have a monster of a 24 inch pyle sub. Problem though, its not powered.
So a nice 2-300 watt sub with adjustable cross over and volume would be perfect. is there a good design that would do that and where can I find/buy it. Some chip based ebay item I am hoping that wont break the bank.
Thanks.
Srinath.

272 watt into 4 ohm ? whoaaaaa ... OK I better get serious about trading off my velo ... now the 24 inch pyle I got ... I better check what its impedance is.
Now tell me something, can it run 2 woofers - it has left and right inputs, is that then wired for 2 woofers ? maybe I can make a 15 pair angle them 90 degrees to each other and run 15 inch mach 1 replica woofers which I can get in 4 ohm.

OTOH ... If I am running the pyle, I would prefer somehting smaller in size and a complete cabinet, cos I wont be putting it in the pyle cabinet, it would be separate cos I dont want to touch that cabinet, it looks like its built to stand a bomb.

Cool.
Srinath.

That looks like a very sweet plate amp with many features. But worthwhile to get the multi-featured electronic crossover, Behringer CX3400, around $180. It has many important features, not least of which is 24dB/octave crossovers for both sub and the speaker above that. Important to relieve the mid-range of the low notes.

Chip amps and subs don't go together. They are simple amps that are designed to be used gently, making them unsuitable for subs which quickly eat up the power. Not so bad for an efficient driver but even then I wouldn't do it.

The M&K is a novel option and here a plate amp solution is probably the most attractive option. You could also consider an O Audio plate amp - in my view very good value for money and well thoughts out in their filtering options. Also keep in mind that the 500w version (while you may not need the power) has choices with the high pass so it's a bit more flexible.

Here is a discussion about some of the issues to consider with a sub amp:
Red Spade Audio: Sub amp options

Yep, that's from my blog.

PC Power supplies are $5 @ the local GW computer parts depot. Do they have 300 watt capacity ? I suspect so. They also have multiple output taps. May run 2-3 in parallel for 12v and more amperage. Will that work, or go kaboom ?

2-300 watt mono car amps are routinely sold very very cheap. I see all the time @ flea markets. 5-10 for it is my guess.

Cross over - why. My HT amp has a cut over freq that can be adjusted. I've had to synch it with the velodyne as it stands. I think it splits it with the center. Like under 100 to the sub and over 100 to the center. I think. It is adjustable too, I think up to 250 it can be adjusted.

Cool.
Srinath.

that mnk amp at $135 really is value for money!

i have built a 300W amplifier using 6 lm3886 chips. But if you add up the costs it comse to much more than $135 , plus a lot of mission.

get the plate amp.

will be much better than a car amplifier that claims to be able to handle 700W but can really only do 100W.

The problem is not the amp in a car, they do put out good bit of power. If you were to wire and cram a 700 watt amp in your house and drove house speakers ... well lets just say, X max on any speaker can be several feet. Sadly it an only happen 1 time.

Car amps dont have clarity but that is a full range amp. car sub amps are quite good. They are 1 trick pony's but that's fine.
Car speakers are hard as a rock. That is cos they have to resist being crammed in a ricer with 1/8 th inch suspension travel. Put a good woofer in with a 2-300 watt car sub amp and feed it the power it needs and it can easily perform like a good house sub.
I do like that plate amp but I dont want to cut the cabinet. Car amp would probably get screwed to the back of the cabinet cos its meant to fit in a flat surface, not in a cut out.

Cool.
Srinath.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.