Th spud - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th December 2010, 01:29 AM   #21
Rudy81 is offline Rudy81  United States
diyAudio Member

Complete pattern waiting for a job to do
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FinishedTemplate2.jpg (183.6 KB, 516 views)
Old 13th December 2010, 06:27 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

I think its back to the drawing board on this project before I cut up some BB. I started thinking last night about the signal path length of that type of horn and realized this may not work so well in my room. Right now all my signals are time aligned either by speaker, like my mains and center, or in all the speakers in the 7.1 layout with Audyssey.

I don't know how long the path is on the TH, but it is way longer than any speaker I have. That could throw a wrench in my setup timing. I may have to re-evaluate and go back to looking at a ported enclosure to better match my mains.

Arghhhh!
Old 14th December 2010, 03:06 AM   #23
blamus is offline blamus  United States
diyAudio Member

sounds like u are nearly there. I say finish it, hook it up, and see if u like it. If you don't, give it to a friend for Xmas or sell it.

Also it sounds like u do have TA capabilities, so just add the path length to the TA.
Old 14th December 2010, 03:17 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blamus View Post
sounds like u are nearly there. I say finish it, hook it up, and see if u like it. If you don't, give it to a friend for Xmas or sell it.

Also it sounds like u do have TA capabilities, so just add the path length to the TA.
True. I can manipulate the TA with my crossovers. I will have to study things a bit before finally deciding which way to go. Right now, approaching Christmas, I'll be busy anyway. That should give me some time to research the issues.
Old 14th December 2010, 03:40 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

If you have DCX then you can auto align. You can easily have 8m of delay equivalent with sealed subs under the mains. An extra metre is no big deal. If you follow Tom's suggestion of a couch on top or some similar nearfield setup then that might help.
Old 24th December 2010, 07:31 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

where is the building print for the spud dts10???? i have a bunch pix but no schematic???
Old 24th December 2010, 09:43 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastadon View Post
where is the building print for the spud dts10???? i have a bunch pix but no schematic???
There is no general release construction diagram available for it. It was released for a limited time as a kit, but that option has ceased. You will have to work it out for yourself, but the driver specs were never made available, so you really have no chance.
Old 24th December 2010, 02:02 PM   #28
JLH is offline JLH  United States
diyAudio Member

I've had this TH-SPUD design for a while. I have not got around to building it, but it should work really well.

Rgs, JLH
Attached Images
File Type: jpg peerless TH.JPG (166.2 KB, 392 views)
Old 25th December 2010, 10:48 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastadon View Post
if you google "th spud clone" there is a thread for the older dual 8 inch spud, it contains a diagram with measurements.
Old 27th December 2010, 03:41 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

After much thought and some research I decided this project was worthwhile. Worst case I lose some time and 5 sheets of BB. It turns out the template for making interior dadoes (sp?) was a life saver. It made the project go much faster and made a huge difference when putting things together. This would definitely have been a major pain without exactly matching the top and bottom large pieces.
Here is a picture showing the dadoes cut into one of the panels. Prior to starting with the router, I designated a 'master corner' on each panel so that they would match exactly at the time of construction.

I want to thank jblauvelt for his initial post and his great ideas on how to make this build as easy as possible. The OP seems to suggest that the build took a weekend. Wow, that is super fast. I have been working on this on and off for two weeks. Of course, I'm just a novice woodworker and it was a learning process at times.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Templatedado.jpg (177.2 KB, 318 views)

Last edited by Rudy81; 27th December 2010 at 03:52 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!