Th spud - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th August 2010, 11:44 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Nice write up, I also find it impressive how 8" drivers can go so low, it goes right in the face of the myth that you need huge drivers for sub 30Hz bass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
Thanks for the write up and pics. I've long wanted to build some of these as clones, and still might at some stage.

Edit: out of curiosity, how many sheets of 2400x1200 (96 x48) did it take to make them?
I'm guessing it can be done with 3.
Old 25th August 2010, 07:48 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHunt79 View Post
Nice write up, I also find it impressive how 8" drivers can go so low, it goes right in the face of the myth that you need huge drivers for sub 30Hz bass.
Use them as DR's and you might get deep, but you won't have enough volume displacement to go loud too unless you use lots of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHunt79 View Post
I'm guessing it can be done with 3.
Mine too, but better to ask someone whose done it.
Old 25th August 2010, 08:28 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

I wouldn't call it a myth, it's just hoffman's law. If you want to get extension and output from a small driver it means a big box! One way or another, whether by means of piston area, excursion or box size, you always pay for it.
Old 26th August 2010, 04:16 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
U
Mine too, but better to ask someone whose done it.
Each sub uses 2 sheets of wood. Get all the dimensions and then enter them into CutList. It will lay it all out for you.

Last edited by jblauvelt; 26th August 2010 at 04:18 AM.
Old 11th December 2010, 03:35 AM   #15
Rudy81 is offline Rudy81  United States
diyAudio Member

Outstanding write-up! Thank you very much. I am about to undertake a build and your ideas on the actual build are a huge time saver.
Old 13th December 2010, 12:19 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

jblauvelt, I hope you don't mind if I tack my project onto your outstanding build description. Frankly, in my research, you have the best description of how to actually create the tapped horn. You have also been nice enough to answer my questions and help me get started. Thank you very much.

In any event, here goes.

I have a 5000 cu. ft. media room that needs more subwoofer than my longtime SVS 20-39 PC+ can provide. I have mostly a DIY system and right now, the LFE sub is the weak point. I looked at several options, like an IB and would really have liked to build one, but my room just doesn't lend itself to an IB setup. I worked for a while on a large ported enclosure with an 18" woofer, but ran into some issues there as well. After reading some of the posts on the TH build, I decided to give it a try. Money is a factor, so this build would be rather easy and inexpensive relative to the other options.

Following jblauvelt's lead, I made a template or pattern to guide my router when I make the dadoes in the side panels. I took great care to draw the dimensions on a 3/4" piece of 45"x48" plywood. Checked the dimensions three times to ensure I didn't mess up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg drawing.jpg (150.5 KB, 539 views)
Old 13th December 2010, 01:26 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Next, I used the skill saw to make a rough cut and reduce the strain on the router bit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Skillroughcut.jpg (182.4 KB, 519 views)
Old 13th December 2010, 01:27 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

I used my plunge router with a 3/8" straight router to create the template. I measured the fence distance on the fly for each cut rather than take the time to make some sort of jig. Problem with a jig is that the cuts are at an angle, so your standard jig may not work as easily as you would like. I'm sure good woodworkers can make suggetions on how t make this process easier.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SlotComplete.jpg (165.6 KB, 507 views)
Old 13th December 2010, 01:27 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Used a scrap piece of 18mm Baltic Birch to ensure my cuts were correct. I did make the slots slightly larger than the BB in case any of the interior pieces are not perfectly straight. I want to simplify the process later on as much as possible.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CompleteSlot2.jpg (199.1 KB, 489 views)
Old 13th December 2010, 01:28 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Here are the pattern cuts complete. Just for grins I also sanded both sides of the template to save my fingers as I move the template around when working with the actual side panels.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BeforeSanding.jpg (167.8 KB, 477 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!