Spreadsheet for Folded Horn Layouts...

Brian,
Is there any way you could use your spreadsheet to reverse engineer a sim for dimensions? http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/278424-help-reverse-engineering-sim-tham15ds.html

Unfortunately my THAM spreadsheet can currently only model single-expansion THAM THs, and that looks like a dual-expansion one.

Once I've finished work sorting out the bugs in my SS-fold spreadsheet, I could have a look at the THAM one to see if it can be modified to cover dual-expansion THAM folds.

Very interesting work Brian.

I'm learning new things as you keep refining this.

Thanks!

Your welcome :). Creating and checking the formulas in Excel that describe the layouts is proving to be quite a challenge, but I'm seeing a particular "pattern" emerging in the calculations for the sample points. If I'm right, it could make modifying the spreadsheet to cover different layouts much easier.

Aargh - bug found in calculation of L45. Fixed in this version.

...and here's an updated version that allows S1 to be set independently of S2. It also has a few more bug-fixes in it.

Attachments

• BOXPLAN-SS-6-3.zip
    141 KB · Views: 143
  • 20150906-SS1.gif
    20150906-SS1.gif
    83.1 KB · Views: 390
Unfortunately my THAM spreadsheet can currently only model single-expansion THAM THs, and that looks like a dual-expansion one.

Once I've finished work sorting out the bugs in my SS-fold spreadsheet, I could have a look at the THAM one to see if it can be modified to cover dual-expansion THAM folds.

....and here's an updated version that can do dual-expansion THAM folds...

Attachments

• boxplan-tham2.zip
    57.4 KB · Views: 120
  • 20150906-SS2.gif
    20150906-SS2.gif
    66.7 KB · Views: 615
....and here's an updated version that can do dual-expansion THAM folds...

Arrggh - forgot to update it with the HornResp output.

There's still some issue somewhere however. The corresponding HornResp sim is slightly larger than the net box volume given in the spreadsheet. I suspect it's something to do with how I'm calculating S5. I'll have to check it again during the week when I get a chance.

Attachments

• boxplan-tham2.zip
    81.9 KB · Views: 130
  • 20150907-SS1.gif
    20150907-SS1.gif
    72.5 KB · Views: 607
Here's an updated version of the THAM spreadsheet. It fixes one minor bug (calculations for panel H) and adds a few features.

Note that the spreadsheet (as per previous versions) includes the option to top-mount or bottom-mount the driver. Of course, if the driver is top-mounted, the top of the enclosure will need to be made removable. Based on my experience with POC2, I suggest that you never, never, never do this. That particular section needs to be well-braced to get the best results, and it's impossible to do so and have a removable driver access panel at the same time.

Attachments

• 20150908-TH4.gif
    20150908-TH4.gif
    18.3 KB · Views: 571
  • 20150908-TH5.gif
    20150908-TH5.gif
    78.8 KB · Views: 572
Hi. I'm completely new to this. Can someone explain what order I need to use these different tools in?

I have Hornresp, I've entered all the Thiele-Small Parameters etc. I hit calculate but not sure what values I should be exporting into the Boxplan spreadsheets.

I notice that the S1-5, L12-45 etc. etc are not calculated in Hornresp, so I'm assuming that I need to set at least some of these myself to indicate a folded tapped horn design. I have no idea what to do next.

The driver I'm using is a Dayton Audio RSS315HF-4 12".

Any pointers would be hugely appreciated!