List of drivers known to work well in TH

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thought it might be nice to start a list of drivers that people know to have worked well. I want to start an excel spreadsheet to average things out and maybe be able to narrow down what attributes to look for.

So I've you've successfully made a nice TH what driver(s) have you used?

Stuff I've used:

Tang Band W8Q-1071B

Stuff that has modeled fairly well for me (some will be better than others in a TH):

AE TD12H
B&C 21SW152
Beyma XMAX-12
Ciare 18.00SW
CSS SDX10
CSS SDX7
Dayton DVC385-88
Dayton QT210-4
Dayton RSS390HF-4
DIYMA R-12
ED 13AV.2
Eminence HL10C
Exodus Anarchy
Exodus Shiva-X
Fi BTLD12 D2
Hi-Vi SP10
Hifonics Atlas 12
Hifonics B10D4, B12D4
Hifonics BRZ15D4
Hifonics OLM1612
Kicker CompVR 10CVR102
Mach 5 MLI-65
Rockford Fosgate P3D210
P Audio SD21
RE Audio XXX 12"
Silver Flute W14RC25-S-04
Smith-Larson CS84SV
Tang Band W69-1042M
Tang Band W46-1316SM
Tang Band W5-1138SM
Tang Band W5-876SD
Tang Band W6-1139SC/SG/SI
Tang Band W8-1722
Tang Band W8-1747
Tang Band W8-740P/Q
TC Sounds Axis 12
TC Sounds Epic 10

That's all I have on this rig - the other computer has a long list too. Several TB 10" and up woofers model well too. I left out others that model sorta well but end up way too big, like the Mach 5 IXL 18.2.2 and Exodus Maelstrom woofers. The P Audio woofer comes close to that as well.

The Ciare looks to make a fantastic pro audio TH. The Hifonics woofers are all poly coned - not sure they're cut out for the stress on the cone.

Last edited:
Stuff I've used:

Tang Band W8Q-1071B

Stuff that has modeled fairly well for me (some will be better than others in a TH):

Published specs or measured specs?

I think it's very important to distinguish between the two. My personal experience with one or two of the brands in your list suggests that some caution is required before assuming that the published specs are anywhere near correct.

So I've you've successfully made a nice TH what driver(s) have you used?

I appreciate the post but I'd like to keep it to drivers that have been successfully used and measured like the B&C 15TBX100 etc. I just completed a 30Hz TH somewhat similar to the one Volvotreter has on the site. For a 6.5 it really blew me away, doing blind tests on friends (1/4 and 1/8th space loaded) they swear I have the dual 15 cab on. It's hard for them to accept that a 6.5 can make crazy intense LF like this

I have not had a chance to measure it yet but I used the Tang Band W6-1139SI and it works well from what my ears tell me with only a slight cab resonance to calm

next up I'm doing two 15TBX100 TH boxes to add to my PA, my design models very well in Akabak so time to build

I appreciate the post but I'd like to keep it to drivers that have been successfully used and measured

Ok... the thread title left it a little ambiguous for me. I just listed the ones I'm convinced I could get to work ;)

That said, many of the drivers I listed have been successfully used and measured by others. That's how I knew of them to begin with. The B&C 21" as well the Exodus Anarchy and Shiva are examples.

I think Tom Danley and his crew may be the only people that know exactly what to look for for a certain design. That's why I thought it would be nice to try and see what people have used. The variables are many, and from goofing around with hornresp it would seem that a driver that may seem unsuitable for a TH design are great in a TQWP, but if you model 2 of that same driver in a TH the design works. It also varies by the bandwidth you are trying to produce. Lots and lots of variables

I think everyone is still trying to find drivers that work OR they have a few they know work and stick with them

next up I'm doing two 15TBX100 TH boxes to add to my PA, my design models very well in Akabak so time to build

It would be intresting to see what you have come up with, i have also designed and built me a pair of 15TBX100 loaded TH's, they are very compact and can be found here :

Martinsson`s Blog - high end low end - diy notes

good luck, they are killer dirivers !

As for what makes a driver suitalbe for TH applicaton, well one thing to consider is to have a TH tuning that is approx 10Hz above the Fs of the driver in question, in some rare cases a Fs equal to the tuning can be accepatble, but what makes this work in only some cases is beyond me, the 15TBX100 is one such dirver.

As for what makes a driver suitalbe for TH applicaton, well one thing to consider is to have a TH tuning that is approx 10Hz above the Fs of the driver in question, in some rare cases a Fs equal to the tuning can be accepatble, but what makes this work in only some cases is beyond me, the 15TBX100 is one such dirver.

I've actually heard exactly the opposite - that a TH driver should have an Fs that's ABOVE the target Fc for the horn, not below. Cowan's TH site for example features the use of a driver with an Fs of 49 Hz to produce a 30 Hz TH.

There's more than one type of TH configuration. Here's the prosound 15TBX100 2pi/1W sim using published specs I posted back when we were speculating about the TH115's innards:

GM

Attachments

• B&C 15TBX100 (DSL TH-115).gif
    B&C 15TBX100 (DSL TH-115).gif
    20.3 KB · Views: 177
Sorry, I'd love to same as Tom would about his products, but the few ruin it for the many and while I doubt it's an accurate clone of the TH115, I believe its basic design routine is, so as long as Tom prefers not to divulge his design details..........

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.