Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th August 2010, 09:47 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Good subwoofer or any tips for me ?

Hi guys,

I'm new here so help me out if the post goes wrong

A few months ago i've decided to build my own subwoofer. I've concidered a few stock subs like the klipsch RW-12D but i didn't find what i was looking for. I actually came to the partsexpress site by accident and was verry impressed with al the things available. I had a dayton 1000w amp and a dayton MK-III 15' woofer transported to the netherlands. Heck that costed me a lot of money. 600 dollars + 150 shipping. Well suprise suprise there came along a bunch of other costs like taxfee from the netherlands boarder controll. another 150 bucks off my bank account. So all and al 900 dollars = +/- 750 euro's. That's how much a klipsch woofer costs in the netherlands. So i had to make this one a lot better if i wanted my money's worth. So i got this so far :

Amp 1000w
Click the image to open in full size.
Some 2,5 mm wire (ordered 4,2 but got this, well it works i guess)
Screws, specially for the woofer (not the box)
Some rubber feet
Isolation foam tape for the woofer

The box it self is " 70 cm h 50 cm w and 55 cm thick"

The box is made of 22mm MDF. Lots and lots of glue. A few normal screws where needed. (screws dont actually hold up the box that well, glue does better) Didn't go with that much screws. Actually seen a VLOG from some guy in the US who used 100's of screws. That's bad for the soundquallity. I used wood on every spot that i could. So also the ports. Their both about 12 cm whide and 10 cm high. both have a length of about 90 cm. That would be good enough for 22 Hz or so. Also i have some sheep wool for isolation on the inside.

I had some troubles with the wood. I dind't cut it that well so i putty'd some up. Also used silicone for the inside of the box to really seal it up. It's as sealed up as one could get it..

So are there any questions? Some tips or advise for the sub?

Greetz chris

Hide this!Advertise here!