Definitive PFTL15 Problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello Everyone! I am a complete newbie and need some help. I am not an electrical engineer (but I am a chemical engineer), but I know what a resistor, capacitor, etc., is, and I know my way around a voltmeter. I have a very nice home theater, and recently noticed no low frequencies, and noticed the LED on the back of my Definitive PF15TL not lit up when plugged in. What exactly does that mean?

I looked up Definitive Technologies on the internet and they said to take it in to a Magnolia Home Theater for service. The closest one to me was also a Best Buy's, so I took it there this afternoon. They told me that if Best Buys never sold it, they do not service it. I told them the Definitive web site said nothing about that little "loophole." They did not want to charge me only $90 for round trip delivery to a repair shop, and wanted me to buy a new one. I told them that I was an excellent Best Buys customer over the years, and if they did not ship it for me, they would lose my business forever. They said, "Adios," and so did I. I will never buy so much as a DVD from that chain again. Their subwoofers looked pretty puny to me anyways. :)

So I lugged this behemoth home again - I am 49 years old with a bad knee (no ACL and advanced arthritis) and a back back from years of lifting improperly - hey, I was young. Anyways, I removed the back cover, which also holds all the electronics. I am very careful, as two of the capacitors looked huge! Is there a danger of electrocution here? Anyway, teh electronics looked OK, and all connections were good except for the connections directly on the 15" speaker - the little plate holding the red & black wires to the back of the speaker was loose, but the connections are still good. Also, the fuse was fine.

Any ideas? I could post some photos, but everything looks good. I have been extremely happy withg this subwoofer, and do not want to buy a new one, as I have two kids in college, and another one on the way. I appreciate any comments or suggestions. Why is the LED light off when the fuse is good and everything else looks good? My intuition tells me the fix is either real cheap or very expensive, with nothing in between likely.

I am attaching the schematics. I took the amp board into work today - a co-worker is quite a fanatic of electronics. He said it looked good, but couldn't really test resistors and capacitors without pulling them from the board. I call Definitive Technology, got a knowledgeable human on teh other end in about a minute! He suggested I mail it in, so I packed it up tonight and will mail tomorrow. This is a great subwoofer for my home theater, and a comparable one would be extremely expensive.

I will update on this board once I hear from Def. Tech.

Attachments

• PF 15tl.PDF
    92.7 KB · Views: 158
Hello Everyone! I am a complete newbie and need some help. I am not an electrical engineer (but I am a chemical engineer), but I know what a resistor, capacitor, etc., is, and I know my way around a voltmeter. I have a very nice home theater, and recently noticed no low frequencies, and noticed the LED on the back of my Definitive PF15TL not lit up when plugged in. What exactly does that mean?

I looked up Definitive Technologies on the internet and they said to take it in to a Magnolia Home Theater for service. The closest one to me was also a Best Buy's, so I took it there this afternoon. They told me that if Best Buys never sold it, they do not service it. I told them the Definitive web site said nothing about that little "loophole." They did not want to charge me only $90 for round trip delivery to a repair shop, and wanted me to buy a new one. I told them that I was an excellent Best Buys customer over the years, and if they did not ship it for me, they would lose my business forever. They said, "Adios," and so did I. I will never buy so much as a DVD from that chain again. Their subwoofers looked pretty puny to me anyways. :)

So I lugged this behemoth home again - I am 49 years old with a bad knee (no ACL and advanced arthritis) and a back back from years of lifting improperly - hey, I was young. Anyways, I removed the back cover, which also holds all the electronics. I am very careful, as two of the capacitors looked huge! Is there a danger of electrocution here? Anyway, teh electronics looked OK, and all connections were good except for the connections directly on the 15" speaker - the little plate holding the red & black wires to the back of the speaker was loose, but the connections are still good. Also, the fuse was fine.

Any ideas? I could post some photos, but everything looks good. I have been extremely happy withg this subwoofer, and do not want to buy a new one, as I have two kids in college, and another one on the way. I appreciate any comments or suggestions. Why is the LED light off when the fuse is good and everything else looks good? My intuition tells me the fix is either real cheap or very expensive, with nothing in between likely.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.