Project: Desk with da boom! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th August 2010, 06:48 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Th3 uN1Qu3
Talking Project: Desk with da boom!

There was all that SPACE looking at me inside my desk, so i went to work and this is the result. 111 liters tuned to 21Hz, in practice it ended up with a 19Hz tune, at least judging by cone movement and port air pressure. Right now i'm only powering it with 30W (one channel of my old amp, which is intended to power my satellites in the final setup), yet it pounds like crazy. Certainly impressive for a single 8". But that certainly is a badass 8" - dual magnet, HUGE surround and spider, and it handles silly levels of excursion. And did i mention it's heavier than most 12"s i've worked with? I don't know if it's actually designed in the USA or it's a chinese knockoff, but it's certainly a good woofer. I bought it last year in a local electronics store for $22. It came without a parameter sheet so i had to measure those myself, i did it with the audioTester software.

Pics:
Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

I have an extra brace that doesn't appear in the pics, which is glued to the front wall, rear wall, the existing brace that the desk had, and to one of the walls of the port. After installing this brace not only did all vibration of the panels cease, but also the objects on the desk (especially the keyboard) stopped vibrating. More bass, less noise!

Some WinISD graphs. Do i trust this woofer to handle 5cm p-p of excursion that would result from 200W input? No. But it can certainly do 4cm. So i'll be limited to 100W long-term power... But since right now i'm happy with only 30W, i doubt i'll need more.

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

And the actual config, no highpass yet. 98dB @ 20Hz on 30 watts. That ain't bad for an eight, isn't it?
Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

IMO, i didn't expect it to kick that hard. It's loud and clear on music, and goes low enough for any movie or game fx. Because i don't have a highpass filter installed yet (nor do i need it with just 30W), and because of room gain, it goes down to 16Hz. Between 16-20Hz the doors of the closet in the hallway vibrate, so does the bathtub. 16Hz stuff is most noticeable in the bathroom actually. Free massage bathtub haha.

And oh btw, the green desktop case on the table doesn't actually house a working computer, it's just there so that the rest of the stuff can sit on it. The main computer is on the right of the desk and didn't make it in the pic.

That satellite speaker in the top left is too large, positioned wrong and made of too thick material. Oh well, the material was free. Anyway, when i'll be building the second one (as you can see right now i have mids/treble on the left channel and the bass on the right), i'll be making the sats smaller, with 8mm OSB, and suspending them so they sit on the left and right of the monitor aka right at ear level. Now i'll be going on vacation, this'll get done in the autumn.

Last edited by Th3 uN1Qu3; 8th August 2010 at 07:03 PM.
Old 10th August 2010, 08:11 PM   #2
Mikey p is offline Mikey p  Canada
diyAudio Member

What is the make and model number of the sub?
Old 10th August 2010, 09:17 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey p View Post
What is the make and model number of the sub?
If i knew, i would've told you. It came with NO info whatsoever, apart from what's printed on the dustcap, the stickers on the magnets, and the 250W, 8 ohm rating on the back (not pictured).
Old 16th August 2010, 11:57 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Did you post the thumbnails of the pictures, or the actual pictures, because the resolutions printed on the little pics are MUCH bigger than the pics are actually displayed, I can't see much at all with those little pictures.
Old 16th August 2010, 12:41 PM   #5
jwmbro is offline jwmbro  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by odysseybmx414 View Post
Did you post the thumbnails of the pictures, or the actual pictures, because the resolutions printed on the little pics are MUCH bigger than the pics are actually displayed, I can't see much at all with those little pictures.
It's a problem with the forums. It's a thumbnail image, that when you click it links to the full image size. Unfortunately the forums insist on resizing the allready small thumbnails to make them slightly smaller.

Clicking on the image now serves to display the original size thumbnail, which destroys the function of clicking on the thumbnail to open the linked image.

If you look at the filenames (rightclick -> copy image location), the urls are something like http://......./FILENAME.th.jpg - if you remove the .th then you can see the original sized image.

EDIT: The way I described it, is indeed an existant problem with the forum - however here I think the links to the original images are indeed missing. My workaround will still show you the full size images though.
Old 17th August 2010, 01:04 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I have always posted thumbnails but i NEVER had any problems with them except on here...

Hide this!Advertise here!