Newbie attempt : TH design for 8" Peerless clone - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th August 2010, 06:05 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Newbie attempt : TH design for 8" Peerless clone

Hi,

I have been lurking for a long time, reading about all the fun that's been had with tapped horns. I had bought a bunch of the 8" peerless clones from the NHT surplus sale, and would like to take the plunge too!

I'm looking for approximately 40Hz tune, in the smallest possible size, with reasonable efficiency. I managed to get 95dB/watt into 2pi space. I would say maximum size is about 80 litres. The one I posted is 70 litres.

This is basically for my dad, he complained that the old 12" ported sub I passed to him died, hehe. He basically listens to classic rock, oldies, and likes punchy bass, which is why I thinking a horn type sub. I will be driving it with an external plate amp from PE, 240W i think.

Hope to get some recommendation and fine tuning of the design. Thanks for sharing!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Peerless Clone TH.JPG (96.1 KB, 167 views)
Old 7th August 2010, 05:47 PM   #2
bjorno is offline bjorno  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to bjorno
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhapsodee View Post
..Hope to get some recommendation and fine tuning of the design..
Hi rhapsodee,

Good work! No need for more fine tuning as I can see.
Why not too build a slightly larger T-TQWT design by using two paralleled drivers that would offer larger BW (IMO more SQ):

b
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Peerless-clone_TH_vers_T-TQWT-comp.JPG (620.4 KB, 135 views)
Old 7th August 2010, 11:45 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi Bjorno, thanks for the help!
I noticed on my TH sim, I get a huge dip at about 100Hz, while most of the designs I have seen do not have the huge first dip. Is that a concern?

The driver also only have 6mm xmax, so pushing it down to a 28hz tune would run out of excursion pretty quickly?
Old 8th August 2010, 04:00 PM   #4
bjorno is offline bjorno  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to bjorno
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhapsodee View Post
Hi Bjorno, thanks for the help!
I noticed on my TH sim, I get a huge dip at about 100Hz, while most of the designs I have seen do not have the huge first dip. Is that a concern?

The driver also only have 6mm xmax, so pushing it down to a 28hz tune would run out of excursion pretty quickly?
The cancellation dip is IMO not a problem as long as your other main speakers are used flat overlapping the dip BW area.

You're right, filters are needed both for the TH and T-TQWT:

b
Attached Images
File Type: jpg excursionP-clone.JPG (170.7 KB, 91 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!