Newbie attempt : TH design for 8" Peerless clone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I have been lurking for a long time, reading about all the fun that's been had with tapped horns. I had bought a bunch of the 8" peerless clones from the NHT surplus sale, and would like to take the plunge too!

I'm looking for approximately 40Hz tune, in the smallest possible size, with reasonable efficiency. I managed to get 95dB/watt into 2pi space. I would say maximum size is about 80 litres. The one I posted is 70 litres.

This is basically for my dad, he complained that the old 12" ported sub I passed to him died, hehe. He basically listens to classic rock, oldies, and likes punchy bass, which is why I thinking a horn type sub. I will be driving it with an external plate amp from PE, 240W i think.

Hope to get some recommendation and fine tuning of the design. Thanks for sharing!

Attachments

• Peerless Clone TH.JPG
    Peerless Clone TH.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 185
Hi Bjorno, thanks for the help!
I noticed on my TH sim, I get a huge dip at about 100Hz, while most of the designs I have seen do not have the huge first dip. Is that a concern?

The driver also only have 6mm xmax, so pushing it down to a 28hz tune would run out of excursion pretty quickly?

Hi Bjorno, thanks for the help!
I noticed on my TH sim, I get a huge dip at about 100Hz, while most of the designs I have seen do not have the huge first dip. Is that a concern?

The driver also only have 6mm xmax, so pushing it down to a 28hz tune would run out of excursion pretty quickly?

The cancellation dip is IMO not a problem as long as your other main speakers are used flat overlapping the dip BW area.

You're right, filters are needed both for the TH and T-TQWT:

b:magnify::)

Attachments

• excursionP-clone.JPG
    excursionP-clone.JPG
    170.7 KB · Views: 112
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.