JBL? or 2xJBL?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys,

I'm not big on sub woofers, However I feel when the right sub woofer is properly implemented it adds an amazing depth to any system.

I need a sub woofer to handle everything under 100hz, where my "full" ranges roll off. and I was looking at 2 JBL models and I wanted some opinon.

first up is the JBL E250pb

Amazon.com: JBL ES250PBK 400-Watt High-Powered 12-Inch Subwoofer - Black: Electronics

Its 12 inches, 400watts RMS and a Vented enclosure
If I were to buy these I would certainly plug the vent

I was wondering If I should buy two of these, or if I should spend the same money on this

Amazon.com: JBL L8400P 600-watt High Performance 12-Inch Powered Subwoofer with Digital Amplifier (Black): Electronics

This has a sealed enclosure, which is a big + in my book.

does anyone have arguments one way or another?

Thank you all so much

-Moose

Since this is DIYaudio, think about building a pair (or more) of subs. There's a range of good drivers from $50 and up, and a semi pro amp like a Behringer EP2500 will give them all the power you could want.

DIY subs do have a certain advantage, because commercial subs tend to use the smallest cabinet possible, for many obvious reasons. However, a price is invariably paid in either efficiency or bass extension. (Hoffman's Iron Law) You may get better bass from a cheaper driver with a lower powered amp in a larger box because of that.

I consider the NHT1259 (used in the NHT SW3 subwoofer) a sort of benchmark. It's one of maybe a handful of commercial sub designs where the driver was also available to DIYers. Most reviews remarked on how good it was for music, but it was no slouch for home theater. Even if you have no intention of using this driver (and since Madisound no longer sells them, it will be a bit difficult), it's worth modeling the design so you know what to realistically look for in a good alignment. Parts Express sells a good range of worthy subwoofers. If you browse the discussions here and at other sites like the DIY section at avsforum, you'll find lots of good advice and suggestions on drivers.

When it comes to the amplifier, I'm reluctant to recommend a plate amp. While convenient (you just screw them into the side of the cabinet and plug them in) they're overpriced (and I suspect under-engineered) compared to a 2nd hand pro or semi-pro power amp. Plus, a stereo amp gives more flexibility, like running stereo subs, or bridging. Even a spare receiver or integrated amp will do in a pinch. We tend to overestimate how much power our subs really need... I haven't noticed any lack of bass since I reverted to using a mere 40 watt amp to run a couple of subs (instead of 400 watts).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.